Do you guys get sick/catch more viruses stomach viruses ect since working

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
Title . Do you guys catch more stuff since being around sick people all day. How do you guys prevent not being sick after being in such close contact with someone lets say with a stomach flu

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wash your hands.

I get sick less, partially because I wash my hands constantly and because my immune system has gotten far stronger by being exposed to stuff over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wash your hands.

I get sick less, partially because I wash my hands constantly and because my immune system has gotten far stronger by being exposed to stuff over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly this

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Also with experience I think you get a lot better at avoiding cross contamination. More mindful of handling your pen, stethoscope, radio and cleaning them. Unless you pick up bad habits and get lazy that is.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Title . Do you guys catch more stuff since being around sick people all day. How do you guys prevent not being sick after being in such close contact with someone lets say with a stomach flu
I think you need to work on a strategy for how you are going to work in healthcare while also being terrified of "catching" something from a patient. Odds are you will eventually contract some sort illness from a patient. Just like you might if you went to the mall.

Be smart and diligent with your basic hygiene principles. Not much to it.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Immune systems work best when they actively exercised... I'm sick less overall. Until the food in Doha kicks in, but that's a whole different matter...

Still, if it's icky, sticky or goeey - don't play with it and practice basic hygiene.

JORDAN89

Forum Probie
I also get sick less, partially because I wash my hands constantly and because my immune system has gotten much stronger by being exposed to germs. Good hand washing will come in handy doing this job some people get lazy so if you get lazy you will see how much more you get sick .I wish you the best of luck remember hand washing anytime you get the time to do it ..

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just remember, you can't see all the TBs the patient is spraying when they talk to you.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

I wake up each morning, look in the mirror and say 'I am a Big, Bad Wolf and I can take whatever this job throws at me". Immediately thereafter, all symptoms of any acute hypochondria subside and I feel fully able to go about my day.

Surf40

Forum Probie
I worked in the hospital for several months before seeking employment on a rig. I thought being around sick people constantly that I'd get sick easily, especially when I was new. Never got sick. Practice good hygiene.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Since working on a rig I have developed a immune system similar to Chuck Norris. I don't get sick from germs. Germs get sick from me.