Do you consider your workplace a hostile environment?

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Since reading that article about the VA FF that recently killed herself cause of bullying it has made me think about EMS and FD as particularly hostile workplaces. From what I have learned its all about rugged individualism, everything is a competition and people throwing each other under the bus instead of helping each other. I could have used some colorful language to describe it but I dont want the thread to get locked. Do you see a bad pattern happening where you work?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
The local agencies I've worked at don't favor those who disturb the good ol' boy's club. With that said, I've worked with pleasant people in each of them. I haven't seen a degenerate work place like how you describe.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Bullying, hazing, and any other ways of people mistreating each other are nothing new and aren't limited to EMS and fire. What is new is the way the term "bullying" is being used. When I was growing us, bullying meant physical intimidation, while words usually fell under the "sticks and stones" disclaimer.

It's good that bullying has been receiving more attention; however, mean-spirited social-media posts are a different kind of problem, where people are empowered by distance and, in some cases, anonymity. In my day, bullies were in your face and never anonymous.

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
I work in a small hospital based service and yeah, these guys have worked with each other for years and are constantly stirring crap. I try to keep my head down and get along but when you're working 48-72's with them the station can get pretty small.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Not in the least. I'm extremely close with the folks in my station and on my Platoon. It's a supportive bunch. Like any workplace not everyone gets along, but it remains professional. I think our size makes a difference; with 500 medics in Operations people who don't get along can give each other distance and find a group they enjoy working with. Of course there are outliers: people so burnt out they're hostile to everyone and the like, but they're exceptions.