Do you carry a full intubation kit? (Personal bag)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a personal backpack type bag I bring to work as a solo medic prior to volunteer arrival.

Trying to consolidate the bag a bit. It has a tube and IV kit.

In the tube kit I have the full span of Mac and miller blades. I never plan to use a miller blade for anything larger than an infant, is there really a reason to keep them in there?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Yes. Plans are great, but a Miller set is a good thing to have and it's not like it takes a lot of extra space.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Yes millers are good to have. Had to use one the other day because a Mac 4 was to short.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I got fiberoptic verizon internet.
But they make fiberoptic laryngoscopes?
Hmm, yea those must cost money. We don't got none of dem fancy stuffs.

Most newer laryngoscopes use a fiberoptic channel to transmit light from an LED light in the handle to the distal end of the blade. The older style blade actually has a replaceable bulb in the distal end of the blade, and an electric contact where the handle and blade meet to transmit power from the handle to the bulb. The older style is still in use many places, but the vast majority of EMS systems and OR's I've been in use the newer, fiberoptic style.

Probably 10 years ago I used a Grandview blade and was so impressed that I was going to go out and buy my own.....only to find out that they didn't make them for fiberoptic handles, which is what my service at the time (and all my subsequent ones) used. I just checked a few websites and it looks like they still don't, which is surprising.

Last edited:

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Most newer laryngoscopes use a fiberoptic channel to transmit light from an LED light in the handle to the distal end of the blade. The older style blade actually has a replaceable bulb in the distal end of the blade, and an electric contact where the handle and blade meet to transmit power from the handle the the bulb. The older style is still in use many places, but the vast majority of EMS systems and OR's I've been in use the newer, fiberoptic style.

Probably 10 years ago I used a Grandview blade and was so impressed that I was going to go out and buy my own.....only to find out that they didn't make them for fiberoptic handles, which is what my service at the time (and all my subsequent ones) used. I just checked a few websites and it looks like they still don't, which is surprising.
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.med-worldwide.com/grandview-laryngoscope-blades-c5571
Seems to be fiberoptic...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love my grandview.
Love love love it.

As for the original question I would keep both sets of blades. They don't take much space and that'd be a tough thing to explain if you needed one and didn't have it.

Might also be worth looking into what your state requires as far as ALS equipment for volunteers. They may or may not require a complete set of both blades.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Your employer does not supply you with appropriate tools to do your job?
I'm still stuck here. Why do you need an intubation kit in your car? Is this for personal use on the side of the road, or are you responding to agency calls in your POV?

I can think of much simpler and more useful tools to keep in your car. That should be the discussion, not superiority of fiber optic blades.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I recall the OP is a member of a volunteer ambulance service that provides only BLS stocked ambulances, but he can still work as a medic. Therefore he keeps his own medic equipment off the ambulances.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Back to the original question:

I would rather not be restricted to just one type of blade.....but if I had to, it'd be straight, for sure. If I wanted to keep weight down or space was limited, I'd carry straight sizes 0-3.

Curved blades are generally easier to use in most patients, but there are times when straight blades are a better choice.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Step 1 - Buy a Grandview, Use with Bougie
Step 2 - Win 97% of airways
Step 3 - Have all the rest of the blades for the other 3% of airways in a separate pouch/bag that is easily accessible.

Seriously though, top 3 blade choices with a 7, 7.5, and 8 tube, two 10cc syringes, a Bougie, lube, a tube holder, and capnography. Place in intubation kit

Spare Kit - Tubes 5-9. Other blades, spare batteries, spare tube holder, capnography, etc...