Do the clothes really make the man?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Personally i feel they should wear the type of uniforms they wear in the UK and europe(i think?) High vis everything. @SpecialK correct me if im wrong please.
upload_2017-1-30_17-46-28.png

I would personally love to see EMT's and paramedics have NO BADGE, and Minimal "uniform". As a LEO I would never wear my badge ever if i didn't have a means to protect it, because there are folks out there that give different treatment to people with a badge. May not mean attacking, however they may not give all the information you may need ect.
FWIW I have to wear a badge at work, and it was almost a deciding factor on me not taking the job, i thoroughly hate having a badge, and no means of defending it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
^^^ this. I think we should be wearing a distinctive color like EMS green with a lot of ANSI hi viz. I'd like to look as little like an LEO as possible and I'd like to have a lot of hi-viz on so I don't get waffled on the road.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nationwide mandate to wear uniforms similar to the NHS would be nice.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
who is going to pay for it? And does that mandate extend to volunteers that may respond from work where they may be wearing a different uniform already?

Not against it, just wondering for those of us that don't do it professionally.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And does that mandate extend to volunteers that may respond from work where they may be wearing a different uniform already? just wondering for those of us that don't do it professionally.
Wranglers not cutting it for you anymore? I'm joking.

Honestly we can't even get our sh-t together with so many other, bigger, more important items within our profession this is the least of our worries in my mind. I'd rather taxes and the like go elsewhere first, but I digress.

Still, a universal jumpsuit with tactful reflectors would be nice. So long as it form fitting and professional looking, yet still manages to prevent us from being mooshed; being mooshed is bad.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
All they have to do is add the word "tactical", make sure there's plenty of places to attach optional patches and gadgets, sell it in the Galla catalog for $100 more than it cost anywhere else and every volunteer will buy one.

Will the patch in my avatar match or clash? Will Galls offer more than one color?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a whole lot more concerned with the lack of competency stemming from inadequate training/education that is rampant in the industry than I am about what we're wearing to work. You can look the part all day, but if the extent of your ability or willingness to intervene on a patients behalf ends at VOMIT, you're just a well dressed hack.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
a quick jumpsuit to toss on isn't a bad thing for a volunteer either. if your clothes are dirty because you work in a dirty profession (farmer/mechanic), it presents a cleaner image to the PT. if you work in a white collar job, it can help protect your work clothes from fluids you may not want on your dockers and button down, and it can be a quick way to add a bit of hi-viz piping to help with visibility at night. Everyone wouldn't even need their own, you just get a handful of them in sizes people will use, and grab one off the shelf when you get to the garage, toss it on en-route while you're in the back.

Would just have to be a size or two bigger than you'd normally wear to fit over your street clothes, and be thin enough to be comfortably worn in the summer without overheating.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I hate jumpsuits, they're so hard to deal with while peeing. (Girls can't stand up to pee... have to disrobe my entire 'top', roll it up, keep it from falling on/dragging on the nasty bathroom floor.)

I'm glad my agency doesn't have badges on our street uniforms. We have them, but they're on our Class B's & A's. Which we rarely wear. We have agency patches, but no badges. I'm fine with that.

But as a girl, I vote no to jumpsuits! :D

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I hate jumpsuits, they're so hard to deal with while peeing. (Girls can't stand up to pee... have to disrobe my entire 'top', roll it up, keep it from falling on/dragging on the nasty bathroom floor.)

I'm glad my agency doesn't have badges on our street uniforms. We have them, but they're on our Class B's & A's. Which we rarely wear. We have agency patches, but no badges. I'm fine with that.

But as a girl, I vote no to jumpsuits! :D

https://www.google.com/patents/US5014356 - Drop-seat jump-suit

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
Well as a volunteer we don't live in our suits so that would work well for us, longest calls are like 3 hours page out to walking back in the door at home, but I can certainly see why it would be less desirable if you wear one all day long.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I legit would rock a Londom HEMS orange jump suit.
DrGareth.jpg

We actually are changing the colors of our flight suits. All the flight companies in the area have similar flight suits and we are often mistaken for our competitors so we want some differentiation.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Honestly, I like the cop-like uniforms we have now, but I do prefer it without a badge. I do think the orange jumpsuit would be pretty sexy too. I think reflectors sometimes can be done wrong and look goofy. My current company requires us to wear these 5.11 reflectors on all street/highway calls, and they just look really bulky and weird. I'm not a fan.

QnqFWD6.jpg

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I legit would rock a Londom HEMS orange jump suit.
DrGareth.jpg

We actually are changing the colors of our flight suits. All the flight companies in the area have similar flight suits and we are often mistaken for our competitors so we want some differentiation.
Hell, I mix up your helicopters most of the time too. But your world isn't ever gonna gross mine when I am somewhere around Kingshighway/Natural Bridge, so I cheat and read the names.

I don't really care about uniforms, I will wear whatever. My only gripe is the God awful shirt I had for medic school. So thick and heavy, absolutely horrid to wear in the summer, which was when I was most active. Give me an Under Armour type shirt and I will layer up when appropriate. Just let me be comfortable, that's all I want.