Do resort rehabs work?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Looking on info for alchohol rehab for a family member.

Does anyone know if these all inclusive resort rehabs have decent programs or are they just so you can check a box and go back to drinking?

Any places in Texas could be recommended for inpatient that would have MAT and counseling all in one that would be comfortable to stay at?

Someone I know needs to go and I think would be more open to it.

Then again, if she is resistant to going at all, maybe it doesn't matter where she goes. I thought getting her there would be the best first step, and her idea of a vacation is being in a hotel looking at TV and ordering room service or reading a book, so maybe a rehab that's more resort style would help?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have no first hand experience, however, this page might help you:

So while your family member will get the resort experience, they will also get Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), Contingency management (CM) & Multidimensional family therapy the happen are regular rehab places.

the biggest thing you need to remember is a person needs to want to stop. if they don't want to stop it won't help. and you can't force someone to stop. Because once they are not being rehabbed (probably the wrong term), and they are out and exposed to all their triggers, it has to be up to them to keep from not drinking. and, unfortunately, if they want to drink, nothing you can do can prevent them from drinking. My ex was an alcoholic. She would wake up and down a shot of vodka, but she never drank at work, or worked under the influence. After she passed out in the grocery store, she realized she needed help, and went off to rehab, and has been sober since.

Rehab isn't cheap, and the person wants to get better. But it is worth it.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Heres what I can tell you about addiction. It all comes down to the person being ready, from the inside out, for their reasons, to quit. Now, they can reach this point before they’re admitted to rehab, during, or after trying and failing; but if they aren’t ready, from the inside out, for their reasons to quit, nothing else will matter. Bars and guards, or massage and meditation is the sauce, but the steak is the personal choice to change.

All of that to say, if this person isn’t ready, a resort rehab is going to be an expensive failure.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Heres what I can tell you about addiction. It all comes down to the person being ready, from the inside out, for their reasons, to quit. Now, they can reach this point before they’re admitted to rehab, during, or after trying and failing; but if they aren’t ready, from the inside out, for their reasons to quit, nothing else will matter. Bars and guards, or massage and meditation is the sauce, but the steak is the personal choice to change.

All of that to say, if this person isn’t ready, a resort rehab is going to be an expensive failure.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if a baby step. That first big step to a resort rehab would be better than nothing and what they need to get a good start.

I know it's all on them.

It was almost a cops called kinda thing. Out of control. She's going to go to therapy she said, but I dunno how long she'll stick with this.