Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

CDG

Forum Ride Along
How does your department or school approach Diversity, Equity and Inclusion? Do you know of any programs that are doing really good things with making sure their employees feel comfortable? What about educating staff on being inclusive and equitable when interacting with patients? If you represent a marginalized community do you feel like you're welcomed/safe/included?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
This has been discussed before:

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
How does your department or school approach Diversity, Equity and Inclusion? Do you know of any programs that are doing really good things with making sure their employees feel comfortable? What about educating staff on being inclusive and equitable when interacting with patients? If you represent a marginalized community do you feel like you're welcomed/safe/included?
Is this a school project?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Making sure employees feel comfortable? I'd say that's an unrealistic goal. Employees are important and shouldn't be mistreated, but they're not all going to feel comfortable no matter what employers do. I'd settle for mutual respect that allows employers and employees to work together in support of profitability without extreme badness.

Being inclusive and equitable with patients? How do you suggest we demonstrate inclusivity and equitability to one patient at a time?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Being inclusive and equitable with patients? How do you suggest we demonstrate inclusivity and equitability to one patient at a time?
I totally agree. In my hospital job, these words are thrown around ad nauseam in online trainings and emails and essentially mean "don't just show respect and kindness and provide good care to everyone, but also go out of your way to make every patient feel affirmed and supported in their individual traits and lifestyle choices so as not to accidentally offend them and be reported to the diversity police".

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How do we demonstrate DEI? I would say my service does a pretty mediocre job...I think that's (sadly) standard in EMS.
Representation of diverse groups in leadership - nope.
Training on DEI - nope.
Policies to advance inclusivity - nope.

OP
OP
C

CDG

Forum Ride Along
This has been discussed before:
That post is directly referencing hiring practices, not policies and trainings.

spimx

Forum Crew Member
Diversity that relates to skin color, religion, sexual orientation and gender is superficial. The diversity that is valuable is cultural perspective and experience in EMS and healthcare occupation specifically.