dislocations

dedominator

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, Im a first responder, I was just wondering how to treat dislocations, I can't find it in any of the literature I have looked at.
Thanks in advance

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
A little nitrous and a quick tug should do the trick. :p

Just kidding. When it comes to dislocations there's not much YOU can do besides package and transport. Splint or wrap the area (arm/shoulder/finger/whatever) in the position you find it and transport.

Oh, and welcome to EMTLife!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Treat to protocol... :lol:

Splint in place and Tx... With some of those cool orange morrison splints, a couple SAM's, some cravats, and a roll of 3" tape... You can splint anything, in any position!

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We've had a couple of dislocated shoulders. Pillows and a couple cravats work very well.

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Evacu-splints, they form automatically to the best possible shape. They are expensive so make sure proper training is used and that the ER staff is aware of how to handle them (you should probably assist).

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I love pillows for almost every splinting situation. Love Sam Splints too.. basically the rule is "Splint as found".... Just as the others have said.

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
Our rule is to check CMS. If everything is fine, splint as found. If any part of that is compromised, you have to move the member until you get the CMS back. If you just can't do it, put him in the truck and just get to the hospital, let them fool with it there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Nov 10 2005, 02:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Nov 10 2005, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hfdff422@Nov 7 2005, 03:40 PM
Evacu-splints
Great... Until the ER staff cuts them b/c they can't figure out what the hell it is. [/b][/quote]
that is why YOU STAY THERE with your $300 splint :lol:

I've only used one once. it was at a football game and the visiting team's assistant trainer used their evac-u-splint to stabalize a fractured humorous. (it really wasn't that funny a call :lol: ). The trainer went with us to the ED, and they sat the kid in triage.... big ol' splint and all.

Jon