Disabled, but hoping/wishing anyways!

Dbm1957

Forum Ride Along
You Guys are so lucky. (I had to enter as s student, but currently I’m not. Just hoping). All my life I’ve worked in computers/networks etc., then come spinal degeneration. So severe it rendered me 100% disabled.
I have always admired the work all do in the medical, Police, and fire departments. Reguardless of what position you hold. You are a blessing.
If it were possible, and I had the ability to start in something new, I woukd choose the Emt basic course.
I know being disabled sucks. There’s many who are disabled but can do anything. I wish I was one of them. I’d give anything to be able to do just a little of the job you guys do. Even if I was only able to take the course to help someone, I would, not worrying about if I would ever be able to work or qualify to be employed. I doubt I would qualify to be a volunteer answering a phone in a hospital.
I’m an optimist. I believe anything is possible with just a little hope and determination, but when the spine and joints fail, it seems so difficult at times to try to put one foot in front of the other, lol.
It is great to be able to dream about doing something. Even better tho, if one cannot do it, thank and appreciate all you you who can and do! I love you all!!!
Sincerely,
David, in Alabama.

OP
OP
Dbm1957

Dbm1957

Forum Ride Along
Ps. Sometimes, At times, I cry because I feel useless. In anything I’m able to do I hold my head up with a little pride and do it to the best of my ability, even if it’s just cleaning in my home. I’m not one to swim in self pitty, lol.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Define 100% disabled. Are you in a wheelchair? Do you have use of your arms and fingers? You say you're able to clean your home. Can you walk?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
David, just to build on Chimpie's question, can you still work with computers -- i.e., can you type? Are you more of a software guy than a hardware guy? I'm asking because we have many needs in EMS for systems development, a field I was in before joining EMS.

Many EMS agencies are transitioning from paper patient-care reports to "ePCRs" -- the electronic variety. Unfortunately, the concept behind ePCRs -- real-time data entry -- doesn't always work too well in a sometimes-unpredictable prehospital environment. If someone were to develop ePCR software that was flexible enough to interpret and store less-structured, or even free-form, data that could be reviewed by caregivers and administrators in user-defined formats, and could be linked to hospital-based systems so that data could be shared by both parties, and wouldn't have to be re-entered, that would be a wonderful thing. Some of those features are available now, but I don't know of a scalable package that has them all. Consequently, there are many EMS providers who have to work around their less-flexible documentation systems.

Many of us in the industry see the current state of ePCRs as a problem. Maybe you could treat it as an opportunity.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
You could also look into being a dispatcher or a 911 call taker!
I was gonna suggest this. We always need good dispatchers