differnce between cortical nephrons and juxtamedullary nephrons?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm confused as too what the difference between the cortical nephron and the juxtamedullary nephron is. in my book, anatomically they look very similiar with the difference I can see being the loop of henle length. Is there more that i am missing?

thanks in advance for any and all answers and help

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm confused as too what the difference between the cortical nephron and the juxtamedullary nephron is. in my book, anatomically they look very similiar with the difference I can see being the loop of henle length. Is there more that i am missing?

thanks in advance for any and all answers and help

well anatomically those are the only difference. However the loop of henle has a huge impact on the the reabsorption on ions and water. Surrounding the loop there is an gradient in the osmolarity thus allowing more and more water to be passive reabsorbed, and later for Na+ and CL+ to be passive reabsorbed. This is achieved by the counter current system in the loop.

Thus animals without the need for reabsorbption, like freshwater fish, have almost all cortical

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
well anatomically those are the only difference. However the loop of henle has a huge impact on the the reabsorption on ions and water. Surrounding the loop there is an gradient in the osmolarity thus allowing more and more water to be passive reabsorbed, and later for Na+ and CL+ to be passive reabsorbed. This is achieved by the counter current system in the loop.

Thus animals without the need for reabsorbption, like freshwater fish, have almost all cortical

Thank you silver. i found some more info after reading more. So what is the major purpose of the cortical nephrons? we are mostly cortical nephrons, almost 85% cortico nephrons.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I am no expert, but i believe that there is supposed to be a balance between filtration and reabsorption and this is the easiest way. I might look back into my books to see tomorrow, since I am tired.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
It is my understanding that there is little difference other then the juxtamedullary is a little deeper in the kidney and is a little more responsible for urine concentration.