Did my ambulance rotation, just have a small issue.

HemOnc

Forum Probie
This may be long, but I encourage you all to read it! :D

Hey guys, I recently did my ambulance rotation for my EMT Course, and I have to say, it was pretty interesting. Had a few calls during the day, nothing too crazy.

I'm a young high school student, to start off with. Coming into the EMS office at the Hospital, I was expecting a lot of people there to be leaving or just getting on their shifts. My issue was that every paramedic/AEMT there was constantly trash talking other staff members, even an instructor I knew. They called her a w!ore, and kept ridiculing how she was, etc. This was only like 3 guys, who I was next to in the computer room. They were constantly swearing. One of the things that angered me the most, was that one medic commented on a young patient he had, and said that she was hot, and then later mentioned that he would act upon her, etc. I understand he has his own opinions, but he should at least be considerate of the fact that there is a STUDENT sitting down right next to him....And listening to all the crap that has been said already....

I had a really sarcastic medic I worked with, and one EMT. He tried to teach me when he could....(He was In his 60s I would say). When we were in the ER, he got cocky in ER when he was chatting with his other coworkers, and then called me a *(Insert F-word)* idiot. He said it because one of the Medics asked if he was actually not being rude to me...And I guess he wanted to prove that he could be rude. I understand he may have been joking around and all, but he should be aware that comments like this can be taken offensively.

I have to say, having done my Ambulance Rotation and my ER Rotation, I like the ER better. I heard a lot more crap said in the office, and am not pleased by the way they were acting. I understand these guys work long shifts and everything...I would have hoped they would have had the decency to act somewhat proper when in the presence of a student....

Should I report this or just let it be?

*My question to all you guys working as an EMT/Paramedic: Is this what EMS is like? Do they constantly have drama? Have you experienced this type of work drama? How is it like when you have a partner that you don't get along with? Are there some EMS providers that are....targeted by the rest of the crew?*

Thanks

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is drauma in EMS and there is also plenty of drauma in the hospital setting also.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes and no. You can find drama anywhere you go if you look hard enough. Don't like it, then just keep your interactions with those folks to a minimum.
Don't like my partner? Get a new one. Luckily I've had pretty solid partners. I'm sure some people are, but I don't notice it being common. However show yourself to be incompetent or a **** bag and that rep will be known. That I have seen.

You are going to see all types of personalities in this job. The same goes for any other job.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
HemOnc, the short answer to your question, "Is this what EMS is like?" is, sometimes. Practical rotations can devolve into competition to see which preceptor can be the most vile and off-putting to students. Variations of this occur in other industries, too, although not necessarily with the same amount of gusto.

I know a couple of medics who used to deny students bathroom privileges just to see how long they could hold it -- a special kind of moronic, if you ask me. The thing is, nobody asks me, nor will they ask you, so just try to endure everything short of battery and stay focused on your future.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sounds like a pretty crappy place to work. Most places are better than that.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh no! You were offended, better run and report it to someone as soon as possible....

To answer your question, yes that sounds pretty typical.

Medic27

Forum Lieutenant
I hate to say it but there are some cocky and disrespectful EMT's in the profession, but that is in all professions. I am sorry you had that experience.