1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Did i mess up will.i get fired

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by chickj0434, Nov 15, 2016.

1. chickj0434

chickj0434 Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    So als triaged us a call for a fall pt. 88 year old female. fell in the bathroom had bruising swellong on her left eye. shes on blood thinners. we get her in our truck. find out from her she fell due to 10 out of 10 chest pain. vitals all normal. shes complainong of the chest pain on her left side. i gave her 324 mg of aspiring she said it helped a little. now how much of a dumbass was i to give aspiring to an elderly woman on blood thinners. once we got to the hospital she saod the pain was more on her side so looks like its prob muscular and not even cardiac related. no history of heart problems but been complainong of this chest pain for weeks but it was real bad tiday she said.

2. Qulevrius

Qulevrius Nationally Certified Wannabe

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- that much -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

But not as much as your medics, who turfed the call to people who treat a geriatric pt, s/p unwitnessed fall, with normal vitals, as a cardiac emergency.

dutemplar likes this.
  3. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    So how much trouble am k gonna get in

4. Qulevrius

You're already in trouble, mate. And its name is 'utter incompetence'. Have you ever considered that 'getting in trouble' for failing to make the right assessment and going on with a wrong treatment, should be the least of your worries ?

5. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    How bad does it affect the pt

6. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    Pt was on plavix and atorvastin

7. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    This has to be some less funny version of punkd....

Kady, medic323, Flying and 4 others like this.
  8. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    Can someone explain why. als told us she slipped. she said 10 out of 10 chest pain radiating down left arm so i thought the aspirin would do more good then harm.

9. Qulevrius

Explain what, why you won the Darwin Award, again ?

10. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    As to why it was so bad giving someone woth 10 out of 10 chest pain aspirin

11. NysEms2117

NysEms2117 Parole officer/EMT

Education:
    EMT
    because.
    and your not a doctor. and any EMT-B school ever has this as ground rule #1. you also made no mention of MC.

12. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    We were taught thats not a contradicition but just something to be aware of.

MackTheKnife likes this.
  13. Qulevrius

Well, aside from the fact that your 88 y.o. pt had a fall, has a black eye as a result and complains of a sharp (CARDIAC-UNRELATED) pain - which is, rather safe to assume, trauma-symptomatic, and who's ALREADY taking antiplatelets ? You just gave her some more, thus significantly increasing the chances of internal bleeding.

You Mum's little genius you.

14. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    So should i just be ready to get fired then

15. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy

Education:
    EMT
    You ignored like the one contraindication of aspirin. Big no-no, you gave a drug when it wasn't indicated. I'm starting to think with your posting history that you're not really cut out for this.

gonefishing likes this.
  16. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    I've been questioning if these are actually even serious.

17. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    Well guess thats that. guess ill just wait for them to call me in and fire me

18. Qulevrius

If it's a smurf, it isn't funny. And if it isn't, the level of stupid is overwhelming.

gonefishing likes this.
  19. chickj0434

Education:
    EMT
    Coumadin and aspirin do two different things. of you look at any medical artlicle it says a patient on coumadin is not a contradiction to give aspirin. the chest pain was before the fall the reason she fell so i thought id play it safe and give aspirin

MackTheKnife likes this.
  20. CALEMT

CALEMT The Other Guy

Education:
    EMT
    A blood thinner is a blood thinner is a blood thinner. While yes they do different things you think of it for a bit. You have a blood thinner to a 88 yo fall that's already on blood thinners. What's wrong with this picture. If you can't think of a answer then I'm sorry. You're going to severely injure or kill someone some day.

gonefishing and NysEms2117 like this.