1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Diary of the NREMT

Discussion in 'EMS Lounge' started by FirstResponder, Jan 2, 2019.

NREMT: Overall, do you view the National Registry (and all that comes with it) favorably ?

Poll closed Thursday at 10:49 AM.
  1. Yes. Overall, my impression of the NREMT is positive.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No. Overall, my impression of the NREMT is negative. They have much room for improvement.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I don't know, I don't pay attention enough

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FirstResponder

FirstResponder Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT
    I just want to leave this topic wide open...
    What are some of your thoughts and opinions (maybe even nightmares) regarding the NREMT? Anything and everything about it. What's good, what's bad, what needs improvement?

2. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

It's a 2 years certificate cycle.... my state cert is every 4.....

NREMT is nice to have if you are changing states (IE moving, or working in multiple states).

It's great to have one common test for EMS nationwide (one per level), as each state doesn't need to create and maintain their own exams (which is more expensive and time consuming that you would believe)... so in theory, everyone has the same baseline knowledge, and then individual state knowledge and experience is added once the person starts working.

Many people I work with earned their NREMT or NRP when they first were certified.... Unless you are planning on changing states, or your employer gives you a bonus for having it, there really is no reason to keep up your NR cert; just your state one.

3. mgr22

mgr22 Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    No major likes or dislikes -- just wish it were possible to retain membership without having to be active clinically.

akflightmedic likes this.
  4. PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic Has no idea what I'm doing.

Education:
    Paramedic
    T
    you can. You recertify as inactive. Still have to do ce but don't need an agency affiliate.

Gurby likes this.
  5. mgr22

mgr22 Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Yes, I know about the "inactive" option. I meant something that doesn't label you that way. "Inactive" can mean different things, none of which would enhance one's standing.

akflightmedic likes this.
  6. CCCSD

CCCSD Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Biggest money scam in the US.

Phillyrube likes this.
  7. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
    It's a certification test, like the NCLEX. I don't have any particular feelings about it. It's an easy way to measure simple baseline competency and make it easier to get reciprocity. I've never had an issue with it, I've recerted by test and by CE. If you work in EMS, it's part of the cost of doing business.

I have bigger issues with paying to have my car inspected and registered every year.

8. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic EMS Edumacator

Education:
    Paramedic
    Depends on where you are, Paramedics in DE are required to have NR. There is no “state cert" per se... you receive state certification when you're current in NR. Without it, there is no mechanism to remain certified.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. Gurby

Gurby Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    [​IMG]

NomadicMedic likes this.
  10. ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT Forum Chiefess

Education:
    EMT
    I just take the EMT refresher. It satisfies the 24 hours of CE required by the state. If I renew the NREMT, the state license renewal is much easier. Kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm just a little confused by the new requirements since my last renewal. It says only 20 hours of CE required, but the director of the school where the refresher course is is telling me that I need an additional 16 hours. 40 total.

11. Peak

Peak ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be, but I still think that they have too much restriction while simultaneously doing very little to actually preserve the quality of care given by EMS providers.

Keep in mind that when compared to the NCLEX, it does far more to involve itself in your practice after you pass. With the NCLEX you take the test, and once you pass your complete the rest of your state licensure application. You never retest on the NCLEX or submit CE to them, and if I apply to work in another state once I'm licensed NCLEX has nothing to do with it. In fact, even with the BCEN or AACN, my certs don't affect my state license or ability to work in another state.

I do think that the minimum training requirements are pitiful, and to my knowledge the NR has done almost nothing to promote increased education. I also think that the skills checks are a bit of a joke, though my last experience was long ago, but I found that students were often failed for unimportant reasons and those being passed actually have quite poor care but checked the boxes.

In many ways I like the idea of a national certifying body, but with such a variance in practice from state to state I'm not sure it's actually possible without significantly remodeling the system.

As to the concern about costs, NREMT is one of the cheapest exams you can take. Take a look at the NCLEX, BCEN, AACN, ANCC, NCCPA, USMLE, ABPS, or the countless other organizations for nurses, PAs, and Docs.

Gurby likes this.
  12. CCCSD

CCCSD Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    So what, exactly, do you get for your money? A requirement to retest and certify locally, each time you move, no blanket across state reciprocity, etc. yep. Great way to waste money and line the pockets of some group that doesn’t do what they claim.

As to your meme, I find it offensive and unworthy of this forum. If I’m warned for calling things straight, it would seem that your action is also a violation.

Phillyrube likes this.
  13. RocketMedic

RocketMedic King of the Improbable

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    That’s a pretty big overreaction.

ViolynEMT, NomadicMedic and Gurby like this.