Detalied Physical Exam (Trauma)

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
On one page of my book, it says:
"Ironically, with critical patients you usually will not have time to perform this [Detailed physical exam] thin depth exam because you will be preoccupied with performing ongoing assessments and providing emergency care. So you will seldom, if ever perform a complete exam in the field."

Yet a few pages over it says this:
"Every trauma patient, regardless of the mechanism of injury should receive a full detailed physical exam."

So, which is right? I have my Intermediate skills test tomorrow, and the Trauma assessment is always hard for me...Its like it just does not click for me...I much prefer medical.

Help?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
On one page of my book, it says:
"Ironically, with critical patients you usually will not have time to perform this [Detailed physical exam] thin depth exam because you will be preoccupied with performing ongoing assessments and providing emergency care. So you will seldom, if ever perform a complete exam in the field."

Yet a few pages over it says this:
"Every trauma patient, regardless of the mechanism of injury should receive a full detailed physical exam."

So, which is right? I have my Intermediate skills test tomorrow, and the Trauma assessment is always hard for me...Its like it just does not click for me...I much prefer medical.

Help?

If possible all trauma patients should get a detailed assessment. If your patient is FUBAR then you will have more immediate issues to deal with than a detailed assessment.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Detailed physical exam on all patients.

Be a shame to miss that exit wound from the GSW when your patient isn't responding to your interventions.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
But for NREMT Practicals? Does it then go:
BSI, Scene Safety, MOI, General Impression, ABC and C spine, then high or low priority, rapid trauma, vitals and detailed whole body then reassess?

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Wait! Bsi etc then abc then rapid trauma then load and go and in route detailed head to toe with vitals and history then reasses right?