Denver Health P-School

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering if any one has an opinion on Denver Health's paramedic school. How would you compare sweedish vs. DH? I've heard DH will hire top students from their paramedic program, any truth to that? Im a full time EMT for springs AMR and have gotten tons of great 911 experience, time to take the next step. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I chose Swedish over DH. Yes, DH has a reputation for potentially hiring new medics from their own program and not considering new grads from others, but I wasn't interested in working for them. Basically, the instruction is better at Swedish, but the internship experience is more consistently higher volume through DH. Swedish will potentially place you with a high volume station (West Metro Station 1), but you can also end up a bit slower with somewhere like North Washington. I've heard some horror stories about instructors not showing up at the Denver Health program and class time being a bit of a waste in some cases. I can't complain. I loved the Swedish program, and I had a good experience with my internship. Dennis is an outstanding teacher and a wealth of knowledge, and I'd recommend Swedish just to interact with him. Both medical directors are quite active with the Swedish Program as well. We frequently worked with them during ED clinicals and even had several shifts scheduled shadowing them specifically.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any other details. I obviously know more about the HealthOne program, but I'll offer up whatever I can.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
have you checked out PPCC? From what I was told the medic program is also 1 of 3 in the country chosen as a pilot program for teaching RSI to medic students. Its close and since you work with AMR you can do your intern with a medic you already know.

OP
OP
captaindepth

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
I did not know that PPCC was going to work on teaching RSI to P students. Do you know the pilot program will start? I live in denver so commuting for classes at PPCC would be kinda tough. I'm really leaning towards DH for the internship phases with them.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
They are already doing this. Call Jeff Force at the south campus. Hes in charge of the EMS department. I assumed that you were in the springs. Check out Red Rocks CC. I believe they have a P program as well

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
have you checked out PPCC? From what I was told the medic program is also 1 of 3 in the country chosen as a pilot program for teaching RSI to medic students. Its close and since you work with AMR you can do your intern with a medic you already know.

???

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What i was told by one of the staff

RSI is a regional thing. I was taught RSI during P-school in Texas. Here in NM they are not taught it. So your instructor doesn't have his facts right

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
RSI is a regional thing. I was taught RSI during P-school in Texas. Here in NM they are not taught it. So your instructor doesn't have his facts right

We learned RSI here and don't even have the capabilities for it...

milehimedic

Forum Probie
I can't speak for the DH program, but I will say that everyone I've met at HealthOne EMS is pretty amazing. I'll second Chaz90's comment about Dennis, the paramedic program director. He's a wealth of knowledge, very focused and demanding, but still extremely approachable. His lectures are never a waste of time.

I can't see you going wrong with either program really, if you apply yourself 100%.

acheateaux

Forum Ride Along
As someone who had the opportunity to go to either, I chose HealthOne for the following reasons...

The classroom education was top notch and speaking with people that came out of DH, I learned a lot more in lecture.

Dennis Edgerly is an amazing instructor who knew the answer to pretty much any questions I had.

Fire based EMS internships. Its the direction I want to eventually go and it was nice to see that side to be sure its what I wanted to do.

The cardiology education is insane.

Speaking with field instructors at DH, the rides are the reason you go there. But you can get a great preceptor, but you can also get a crispy medic with no interest in teaching you anything at all.

By far and away the most difficult, stressful 6 months of my life. If I had it all to do over again after speaking with students in other programs, I would choose HealthOne again.

OP
OP
captaindepth

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
I have heard nothing but great things about Swedish and have worked with excellent medics in the springs who went there, so I believe all of the information you guys have said to be true. Is there anyone out there that actually went to DH P school and has something to add? After working in such an aggressive system with strong medicine I'm torn between the didactic portion of school and internship portion, plus working for DH is a goal of mine. Sorry to beat a dead horse but dont have anyone first hand to talk to about it all.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
For the most part I feel like you get out what you put in. I agree that the field internship is superior though. Depends on what you're looking for. DH tries really hard to ensure that the relationship between the preceptor and the student is benefiting the student. The coordinator for the program puts a lot of energy into making sure students are successful and have a good experience.

And yes; if a student proves during classroom and rides that they are capable they will be offered a job.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Have you considered the Centura / Saint Anthony's Hospital program?

longnitesbritelites15

Forum Ride Along
I relocated to the Mile High metro back in late March from south Alabama. So, I really haven't been here long enough to establish a solid opinion about any of these programs/services/people/etc. However, since I was recently accepted to and will begin DH's 12-month program next month, I figured I should offer up my thoughts to this conversation.

I chose DH specifically because:
a) I wanted the clinical exposure in a high-volume 911 system.
b) from all that I could gather, DH seems to have a fairly solid system with decent organization and a high regional reputation.
c) DH is an academic level I trauma center.
d) (technically encompassed by c), but worth explaining...) I wanted the opportunity to learn from both young and old physicians. I think the young ones can teach you more about textbook medicine and the older ones can teach you about how they really do it in the ED. Now, I'm not so naive as to believe that I will be given hours upon hours of one-on-one instruction with a resident or practicing trauma surgeon. But, what I do possess is the ability to listen. Learning is very much a proactive process and it will not always be spoon-fed from a textbook or in a classroom. You must be willing to listen to those around you "on the streets" (also read "in the hallways") as well. It does not matter where you go to school, if you lack the ability to listen to those around you then you most likely will not be successful. However, with that said, I believe at an academic institution you are more likely to come across those individuals who have a passion for teaching.

And finally,
e) I wanna go fast! ...in lots and lots of traffic :)rofl:)

Now, honestly... I don't think you can really go wrong with any medic program based out of a level I trauma center. :cool: I have friends in both north Mississippi and south Alabama that would give their left cargo pocket if they could come to ANY of these "big city" programs.