Delivering your own child

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
My wife and I are expecting our first child in August. My wife and I are both in medical fields, and are both very comfortable with the idea of me delivering the baby. We've spoken at length with our OB/GYN, who is completely on board and comfortable with the idea. I think it would be very special to spend that very first moment with my new child, and would be something I would remember forever. I have ZERO concerns about wishing I could "unsee" my wife in that way. I am walking into this with a very good understanding of fluids/fecal matter that may be involved, and this aspect does not cause any discomfort for my wife or I.

However, while I would love to share this new experience with my new child, I am worried that my wife might miss out on the experience of being able to squeeze the crap out of my hand/arm and have me coach her through the breathing and be able to comfort her through the end stages of delivery. I want to share an experience with my child, but I worry about missing an experience with my wife, or her missing an experience with me.

For those who have delivered their own child or coached their significant other through delivery, do you feel that one sort of experience is/was unforgettable or more important? Would you prefer one more than the other? Would you make any different choices if you could do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I did it two weeks ago with my second little one (wife is also a nurse). I stood at the head for the first. My wife said she liked all aspects of the birth better the second time around as compared to the first, especially that I got to deliver (she also got an epidural this time vs natural last time, and we went to a better hospital, had a much better OB doc, and had one of our very good friends as the L&D nurse)