Delaware Reciprocity - NREMT

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Just finished my NREMT and have my Ohio state card for EMT-B. Delaware is one of the States I'm looking at opportunities. I pulled up the application but one of the boxes is affiliation with a Delaware agency.. So can I apply to an employer with my just my NREMT if I see a position?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Delaware is a bit of an oddball state. EMTs are certified and managed by the Delaware state fire school, not the DOH as paramedics are. There are two separate sets of protocols and frankly, totally different mindsets. But, if you work in DE, you'll figure that out.

Once you're hired, you can apply for EMT certification.

http://statefireschool.delaware.gov/pdfs/ems/ReciprocityApplication201403.pdf

Good luck. EMT jobs in DE are a little difficult to come by but, unless you work for one of the IFT companies. All 911 BLS is done by fire, with the exception of Wilmington. Those jobs are mostly FF/EMT positions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Thanks... I'm in a "throw darts at the map" stage of my life. I was looking at the hospital EMS in Wilmington and just curious if you can apply with NREMT.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Come look down. Here in Texas if you're throwing darts lol. Lots of good career services

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
always come to nys, lots of opportunities

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
T
Come look down. Here in Texas if you're throwing darts lol. Lots of good career services

I'm looking there too... Any suggestions? I have no EMS experience but almost a year as a tech in the ICU.

NomadicMedic

If you're not a medic, I'd pass on the DE EMT jobs. If you DO become a medic (or want to) then DE is a decent option.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Definitely want to do my medic, that's why DE is on my list.
I think what @DEmedic is eluding to is...

Sign for paramedic school--->get into paramedic school--->pass paramedic school-->then move to Delaware and function as a paramedic. It doesn't sound promising for EMT's unless you're a FF.

NomadicMedic

Several of the county agencies like to scoop up DelTech paramedic students that seem promising. Some would even offer to cover the tuition if you agreed to work for them. I don't know if that's still a thing, but it was a good way for the agencies to keep some candidates in the funnel.

You can always get your medic in PA or Jersey or anywhere else. As long as you're NREMT, you're good in DE.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
T

I'm looking there too... Any suggestions? I have no EMS experience but almost a year as a tech in the ICU.
Depends where in Texas. As an emt your options are wide open. Austin-travis, Galveston, Washington counties. Cy Creek EMS, Harris County esd 1, Lake Jackson, Scott and white EMS, etmc EMS, Lubbock umc EMS, etc. Lots of options, especially if you plan in continuing on to medic

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If you're not a medic, I'd pass on the DE EMT jobs. If you DO become a medic (or want to) then DE is a decent option.
How many paramedic schools are in Delaware?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think it may just be Delaware Tech.

But, there are several in neighboring states.
Also, do most of their medics seems to be homegrown/ regional, or is there a fair amount of folks from all over?

NomadicMedic

The majority tend to be local, but they have people from all over. SCEMS had several Washington people for some odd reason. :) and lots of folks from surrounding states.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The majority tend to be local, but they have people from all over. SCEMS had several Washington people for some odd reason. :) and lots of folks from surrounding states.
Perhaps one day a Californian, or two...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
DE....was always on my bucket list, just never made it happen....sigh. Still enjoy hearing about it and living vicariously through others.

DE, I was a CR grad (not sure if I ever told ya that).

NomadicMedic

DE....was always on my bucket list, just never made it happen....sigh. Still enjoy hearing about it and living vicariously through others.

DE, I was a CR grad (not sure if I ever told ya that).

I didn't know that. Honestly, I'd like to go back, but I just don't think it's in the cards for me. I lived just south of the CR district, just over the line in Sussex.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We got transferred there senior year...Dover AFB. So CR it was...I also did dual enrollment at Wesley. They didn't call it that way back then, LOL...I have been back a couple times since visiting friends, but not much has changed there landscape wise! HA HA.