Defib Pads + Hairy Chest = ?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know our BLS units don't carry safety razors, and always wondered what would happen if someone had an absurdly harry chest. How would you apply the defib pads?

Some suggestions I've seen:
1. Trim with scissors
2. Put one pad on, push down, rip off fast, put on new pad
3. Shave 'em (again, I know our BLS units and most AEDs don't have disposable razors)

What do you do?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
We have razors on our BLS unit, and razors & tape that you can use to remove hair on the ALS unit. The razor is far less painful than the tape. But you should try both on a rookie, just to find out. Bring bandaids.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We dry shave with disposable razors.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We keep a disposable Bic razor in each AED case and in each trauma box. We also have three sets of pads per AED, so we could do the "rip" method if necessary.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 14 2005, 06:15 PM
The razor is far less painful than the tape.
Everybody in my CPR classes always wince when I talk about dry shaving or ripping off hair to hook up an AED. I always tell them that the PT doesn't care if they're in arrest, and if they pain resuscitates them, all the better. :D

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
using a set of pads is kind of a pricey solution. wheras a disposoable razor(we have boxes in the supply room) is a bit more practical

tape works well

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Thats the nice thing about the manual defib paddles. You are applying 25 lbs of force to ensure good contact. You might smell burning, but at least you will be able to shock...

Jon

devist8me

Forum Probie
Your pads won't adhere well if they are real hairy, thus reducing the effect of shocking, sometimes dramatically.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Apr 15 2005, 02:07 AM
Everybody in my CPR classes always wince when I talk about dry shaving or ripping off hair to hook up an AED.
Besides... You might be doing his wife a double favor; saving his life and giving him that oh-so-sexy smooth chest look. :lol:

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
We use a rechargeable razor with disposable heads. Comes in very handy for those not-so -smooth- patients!! :D