Dealing with Paramedics

ptom06

Forum Ride Along
Last night we got a call 4am, I am volunteer EMT. The ambulance service requested we come for assistance. We get there the male is having a heart attack. Get him in the bus and there are 2 from the ambulance service, paramedic and EMT. They are getting the patient set up - IV, monitor etc. and I said, would you like me to drive for you. The smarty pants Paramedic says, why would we want you to drive? Um, duh, cause your patient needs both of you? Nope forget, you deal with it buddy. Why do do a select few paramedics think they are King of the bus? What do you think? What if the patient coded enroute? Is my thinking wrong or his?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Generally, you have to be with that same organization to drive their vehicles. I work for a county 3rd service, and we'll have a firefighter or two ride in with us if the medic needs extra hands, but they can't drive our ambulance. So he was probably confused as to why you offered to drive rather than ride in the box.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Explain your system.....The way i understand what you are saying is that there was an ALS transport capable unit already on scene with a possible MI and they requested a BLS service to respond? Why? Why are you on this job? The paramedic and his partner should be able to handle this call. Why do they need you at all?

OP
OP
ptom06

ptom06

Forum Ride Along
I understand what you are say but we, including myself, have driven for them many times with other paramedics. This person knows this and has been there a long time. They usually prefer to do the patient care and have one of us drive. But maybe he felt the patient was under control. I don't know. Thank you for your reply, it helps.

OP
OP
ptom06

ptom06

Forum Ride Along
I am with the fire dept and they often call us for a number of reasons, lift assistance, extra hands in serious cases, we are very rural so addresses are hard to find (GPS does not have these little hidden roads), about 50 % of the calls we get to before them etc. Good question. :) Oh and to add to the explanation of that call - they requested us before they were enroute and they arrived just a few seconds before us.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds like a basic ALS call. I wouldn't want a driver either.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
You are an EMT, so why can't you ride in the back while the other EMT drives his own ambulance? That's how my service operates, no one drives except employees.

On another point, try to get so butt hurt about it, it really doesn't matter.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Sounds like the medic had the call under control with himself and his partner. If there are enough people on scene and the patient is in the ambulance, I really dislike having more people around/in my ambulance than I need. If I need a driver or an extra set of hands in the back, I'll make that decision and let someone know. Otherwise, we proceed with business as usual.

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
My landlord is a medic. I just tell him to piss off most of the time when he's giving me a report! (results may vary with your local medics and may include being punched in the face)

Seriously though, you don't drive rigs for agencies you don't work for. I've commandeered Fire aid cars before when the patient involved had crashed into a fire engine and the guy needed a medic intercept, and was already packaged in their rig, rather than switching him over to my ambulance. But in that case, I teched and fire drove.

Honestly, medics and EMT's both fit the 80/20 ******* rule and sometimes people just have bad days and don't know how to handle it. The most important thing about being in EMS is letting this kind of stuff roll off like water off a duck. But the more friendly you can get with medics/fire, particularly the ones that seem standoffish and kind of rude, the more fun you'll have in the field.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
4am call? Especially if the medic already had a busy night he might just be a bit cranky from running calls all night lol

So a heart attack? Was it a full on STEMI or run of the mill chest pains? Either way, patient is already loaded up, IV established, and once the 12 lead is printed/transmitted there's no real need for an extra EMT in the back. His reaction could easily have been "I've got a stable patient already packaged and ready to roll, why do I need an extra Firefighter to drive my rig right now?"

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sounds like you're being overly sensitive, honestly. If there isn't active airway maintenance or active CPR, I don't really want extra people in the back. And I trust my partner's driving; not so much a random firefighter's.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Frankly, because it is their box and their call. Asking "do you want a rider?" would probably be sufficient going forward.
This. It is a paramedic unit right? Since I am the paramedic on my unit I am the judge, jury, and executioner. The boss man. The king.
Sounds like you're being overly sensitive, honestly. If there isn't active airway maintenance or active CPR, I don't really want extra people in the back. And I trust my partner's driving; not so much a random firefighter's.
This as well. I spend a lot of time with my partner as she is driving. I know her driving and I can trust it. Yes a FF or LEO is more than capable of driving the unit however I don't know their driving.

If I have to meet up with a BLS unit for help I would still have my partner drive.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Last night we got a call 4am, I am volunteer EMT. The ambulance service requested we come for assistance. We get there the male is having a heart attack. Get him in the bus and there are 2 from the ambulance service, paramedic and EMT. They are getting the patient set up - IV, monitor etc. and I said, would you like me to drive for you. The smarty pants Paramedic says, why would we want you to drive? Um, duh, cause your patient needs both of you? Nope forget, you deal with it buddy. Why do do a select few paramedics think they are King of the bus? What do you think? What if the patient coded enroute? Is my thinking wrong or his?

A basic EMT is about the only person that a paramedic outranks.

So.....guess who the paramedic with a bad attitude finds it safe to give a hard time to? A basic EMT.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Just playing devils advocate, is it possible the Medic was honestly confused? I would also not understand why a different EMT would need to drive on this call. If they were just being rude that is a shame. But sadly it is common and will continue to be I am sure.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
No need to be so sensitive. It is his rig and he has the final say in everything, get used to it. The best line to use is "Alright guys, need anything else?" Most of the time its a "No".

It is also a possibility that he was legitimately asking you, why you wanted to drive and your reasoning...So why do you think this patient needs both people in the back?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I notice that the title of your thread does not seem to reference a singular paramedic, but rather, all paramedics. Perhaps if you have an expectation about "how paramedics are", then you will eventually have your expectations met.

Honestly, I don't see what the issue is here at all, given the way that you described it.

Kyle Vernon

Forum Ride Along
It's a matter of liability. If I felt I needed help I might have you ride, but not drive. Get to the ED with a non-employee pulling my unit in and a supervisor there... I'd be looking for another job. Not to mention if you get t-boned along the way.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Why do do a select few paramedics think they are King of the bus?
Oh, and to add, partially because this patient is ultimately his responsibility and anything that happens to this patient during the call falls on his LICENSE, not a certification like an EMT. I know that the difference isnt clearly understood by most in this industry but it is significant

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If we need a driver or another set of hands we will ask. We don't usually need an extra set of hands on the call you described. If the paramedic was salty, that's too bad and is hopefully not a running issue. But don't take it personally.