DC EMS adding AMR to the Mix

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Just saw this posted. Looks like a good opportunity for those in the DC area who want some 911 time. But it also reflects pretty poorly on the DC Fire/EMS system.

EMTs Needed for DC 911 EMS Operations

DC EMS Shifts pay $20.41 per hour

National Registry Certification required

Currently hiring for DC 911 Operations, Event standbys, and IFT operations

It's on Indeed. Look for AMR.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Shotty setup though. Low acuity, must respond emerget to everything

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Oh ya. Its nuts. Its like that here in Chicago. Dispatcher ability to triage is a foreign concept here as I suspect it is there. Lights and sirens to drunks and week old ABD pain. It will probably be something like system status management as well. The argument here has always been that without emergent response, we would never get through the traffic.

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Where are you? I hear this a lot from other providers but I also wonder where they are and what service type they are involved with.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We do too and i hate it. But we are getting priority dispatching by the end of april and that should stop

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Hell yeah! Time to transfer :D

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
MPDS is a joke. Over triages way too much.
What else do we have though?

Also, at least my employers have us start non-emergent and then upgrade once the call codes out.

jcroteau

Forum Crew Member
I agree there aren't many better alternatives, but how many deltas end up being a true delta?

It would be better to allow the medics assigned the call to use their judgement, or better yet, have an als paramedic or physician reviewing calls in the dispatch center instead of having call takers with no medical training read a script.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I agree there aren't many better alternatives, but how many deltas end up being a true delta?

It would be better to allow the medics assigned the call to use their judgement, or better yet, have an als paramedic or physician reviewing calls in the dispatch center instead of having call takers with no medical training read a script.
My full time job lets us respond how we please. I like it, but I think it opens the agency up to liability since we do use MPDS and that outlines how we should be responding.

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
As far as MPDS..... Protocols for breathing problems, psychiatric problems, convulsions, and cardiac arrest performed well at identifying acutely ill patients. Sixteen protocols performed no better than chance alone at identifying high-acuity patients. This type of analysis can be used to select target protocols for future revisions of the MPDS. - NAEMSP retro study.

Some places with a lot of road might benefit from the no hot response. Here in the city, we would never get anything done. 18 to 20 calls a day mostly all transports and response times being the metric that hits the news.....do the math.

I can say that I have heard Texas treats medics like they have a brain. Illinois does not....at least in the city.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As far as MPDS..... Protocols for breathing problems, psychiatric problems, convulsions, and cardiac arrest performed well at identifying acutely ill patients. Sixteen protocols performed no better than chance alone at identifying high-acuity patients. This type of analysis can be used to select target protocols for future revisions of the MPDS. - NAEMSP retro study.

Some places with a lot of road might benefit from the no hot response. Here in the city, we would never get anything done. 18 to 20 calls a day mostly all transports and response times being the metric that hits the news.....do the math.

I can say that I have heard Texas treats medics like they have a brain. Illinois does not....at least in the city.
Why are we responding emergent to psych problems? Certain overdoses perhaps, but code 3 to stage is just stupid.

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I
Why are we responding emergent to psych problems? Certain overdoses perhaps, but code 3 to stage is just stupid.

It all seems to come down to location and type/style of dispatch. Lot of different moving parts in how a system runs. King Co, to FDNY to L.A very different.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't see how any system requires an emergent response to psych issues. If the patient is in imminent danger of harming themselves, they are also more likely to hurt us. We do not need to be there immediately, PD does.

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant

Your statement is limiting the vast amount of situations where a psych call is called in as a psych but in reality is something else.

OP
OP
NUEMT

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I don't see how any system requires an emergent response to psych issues. If the patient is in imminent danger of harming themselves, they are also more likely to hurt us. We do not need to be there immediately, PD does.

I would flatly disagree with this statement. It is simply not true that persons with thoughts of self harm also want to hurt other people. Even schizophrenics, who present with auditory hallucinations commanding self harm, admit that they do not also feel compelled to hurt others.