CT OEMS refresher exam issues.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Has anyone in Connecticut taken the new EMT refresher exam. It seems like the new EMT Refresher exam in Connecticut has an extremely high Fail rate. I am wondering why the hell is the state pushing a new refresher exam, knowing full well that it has a very high fail rate. I suspect the new refresher exam is based on the NREMT exam.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard the same thing. However, I would say that if you've taken the NREMT and passed, you probably are fine. NREMT is the standard for entry to practice now, anyway, so it makes good sense for CT to align the recert exam with that. Also, based on the data available from the CT OEMS, rather than the random statements of CT EMS-I's, looks like the pass rate is actually pretty high...based on the competence of most EMTs I know in CT: We've got a pass rate of 79% (From February 1st to March 23, 2017, 612 passed of 771 takers). These are "application" type questions, not just "knowing things."

Just FYI, I would strongly suggest making your account on here anonymous.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I've heard the same thing. However, I would say that if you've taken the NREMT and passed, you probably are fine. NREMT is the standard for entry to practice now, anyway, so it makes good sense for CT to align the recert exam with that. Also, based on the data available from the CT OEMS, rather than the random statements of CT EMS-I's, looks like the pass rate is actually pretty high...based on the competence of most EMTs I know in CT: We've got a pass rate of 79% (From February 1st to March 23, 2017, 612 passed of 771 takers). These are "application" type questions, not just "knowing things."

Just FYI, I would strongly suggest making your account on here anonymous.
I never taken the NREMT before and I was never NREMT certified. I was all State level EMT certified. So it seems like alot of EMT's who were at the state level and never touched an NREMT exam are having issues with the state and exam. It seems like OEMS is not allowing State EMT's to be grandfathered into the NREMT system.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
. So it seems like alot of EMT's who were at the state level and never touched an NREMT exam are having issues with the state and exam.

That certainly could be the case. If you're comfortable with the application of clinical skills, I don't think it should be too bad. (After all, 80% of people do pass. If you're proactive enough to be posting here, I'd bet you're in good shape.)

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
That certainly could be the case. If you're comfortable with the application of clinical skills, I don't think it should be too bad. (After all, 80% of people do pass. If you're proactive enough to be posting here, I'd bet you're in good shape.)
The last time I rode an EMS truck was in 2005. After that I never rode an EMS truck but kept my EMT License at the state level. I never attempted to take the NREMT because I didn't have a need unless I was moving to another state that was NREMT. So it makes me wonder why is the state pushing the new exam on EMT's that never even touched an NREMT EXAM.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So it makes me wonder why is the state pushing the new exam on EMT's that never even touched an NREMT EXAM.
Gotcha. That's a good point. My guess is that they wanted to align with national standards for education/refresher training...but your guess is as good as mine!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The last time I rode an EMS truck was in 2005. After that I never rode an EMS truck but kept my EMT License at the state level. I never attempted to take the NREMT because I didn't have a need unless I was moving to another state that was NREMT. So it makes me wonder why is the state pushing the new exam on EMT's that never even touched an NREMT EXAM.

Because it's a standardized, well vetted baseline competency exam and if you're educated to the level of basic competency, you should have no trouble passing.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It seems like the new EMT Refresher exam in Connecticut has an extremely high Fail rate.
New Jersey went through he same issue years ago when they switch to the national exam. The biggest problem? You had instructors who had never taken NREMT exams teaching students to NJ standards, not NR standards (and yes, state standards can be different than NREMT, and while the students need to know the state standards to practice, they need to know NR standards to pass the exam).

It seems like OEMS is not allowing State EMT's to be grandfathered into the NREMT system.
That's probably the NREMT decision, not the state's; and quite honestly, if you were NREMT, would you want to lose out on all he money they will be making from testing?

The last time I rode an EMS truck was in 2005. After that I never rode an EMS truck but kept my EMT License at the state level.
TBH, you might have some issues then. I took the exam 10+ years after I completed my initial EMS class, and there were questions that I simply guessed at. If you are a "typical" firefighter from the north east, doesn't keep up with A&P, doesn't do more than the bare minimum you need to maintain their cert, and you don't keep up with the latest EMS guidelines, it might be troublesome. Grab an updated EMT textbook, and review it; pay special attention to the OB and L&D sections, they seem to have the highest failure rates.
I never attempted to take the NREMT because I didn't have a need unless I was moving to another state that was NREMT. So it makes me wonder why is the state pushing the new exam on EMT's that never even touched an NREMT EXAM.
standardization is probably the #1 reason. #2 to probably to save the state on funds.

It gets expensive to create a test, and update a test, and administer a test, and grade a test, and validate a test, especially when it can change frequently. it's much easier to let NREMT do it, pass the cost onto the student, and then have the only cost to the state be to have the NREMT send the results and print the cards.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
New Jersey went through he same issue years ago when they switch to the national exam. The biggest problem? You had instructors who had never taken NREMT exams teaching students to NJ standards, not NR standards (and yes, state standards can be different than NREMT, and while the students need to know the state standards to practice, they need to know NR standards to pass the exam).

That is the problem I am seeing in CT OEMS, I have seen EMS instructors who never took an NREMT exam to see what it's like or taught at the NREMT level and expecting students to pass at the NREMT level, when everyone was so use to the state Level. The problem I see in CT OEMS is when they rolled this new Exam out, they should have made the instructors go through it first and then teach it to the students. Instead the state is making the instructors push it on the EMTS who never touched the National registry and it's making a number of State EMT's fail the NREMT standards, even though they are doing well at the state level. I have even seen OEMS instructors who are still stuck on the state standards, teaching them the state standards and hoping that the student passes the NREMT standards. That's basically setting up the EMT to fail when even the Instructors who are not up to snuff on the NREMT standards.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of curiosity, is there a practical exam for the refresher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Out of curiosity, is there a practical exam for the refresher?

Not really, only the written exam and I have seen the new written exam and it seems to be based on the NREMT, which none of the instructors I took it with never taught to the NREMT but taught it to the state standards.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not really, only the written exam and I have seen the new written exam and it seems to be based on the NREMT, which none of the instructors I took it with never taught to the NREMT but taught it to the state standards.

Ah gotcha. I had taken my last refresher in NYS (which had a practical + written) but was able to use it for CT. Pretty surprising that there isn't a practical for the CT refresher.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Ah gotcha. I had taken my last refresher in NYS (which had a practical + written) but was able to use it for CT. Pretty surprising that there isn't a practical for the CT refresher.

The one problem I am seeing is how CT OEMS bum rushed this new Refresher exam without having it first tested it on EMS instructors who will be the ones pushing it on EMTS. Their's so many flaws and mistakes on the new refresher exam, that it makes me wonder why would OEMS push a New refresher exam when it first wasn't tested on EMSI's.

NomadicMedic

I sure the EMSIs were given a list of core competencies to be taught. C'mon.

The NREMT exam is not difficult.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I sure the EMSIs were given a list of core competencies to be taught. C'mon.

The NREMT exam is not difficult.
No but the problem was many of the recert classes I have seen are still stuck on the old state model and none of the EMSI's I have seen have transitioned to the NREMT model.

NomadicMedic

The instructors don't need to take the test first. That serves no purpose. As it's a computer adaptive test, each students test experience is different. As instructors, the EMSIs should be teaching the national core curriculum.

I'd gather that many of the people failing the test are used to cruising through a recert class without putting much effort into it. (I started in CT as an EMT waaaay back ...and recerted there. It was a joke)

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
The instructors don't need to take the test first. That serves no purpose. As it's a computer adaptive test, each students test experience is different. As instructors, the EMSIs should be teaching the national core curriculum.

I'd gather that many of the people failing the test are used to cruising through a recert class without putting much effort into it. (I started in CT as an EMT waaaay back ...and recerted there. It was a joke)
I'm wondering why hasn't CT OEMS allow EMT's to take computer adaptive test for initial and refresher

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't forget, the old CT EMT refresher exam had been the same exam for ~20 years...people memorized it...

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Don't forget, the old CT EMT refresher exam had been the same exam for ~20 years...people memorized it...

The problem I am seeing is how so many Instructors are still stuck on the old state requirements and are not moving to the National level. So I suspect it's the fault of the State not pushing it to EMSI's

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The problem I am seeing is how so many Instructors are still stuck on the old state requirements and are not moving to the National level. So I suspect it's the fault of the State not pushing it to EMSI's
Probably true. I have heard there wasn't much info available for the EMS-Is.