Critical Care Paramedics in Qatar 98k

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey guys, I recently got hired for a position in Qatar, starting salary is $98,000 USD tax free per year (with opportunities for overtime) plus free housing, you can also bring your family if you have one. The schedule is 4 days on 4 days off. I met with the management and some of the team at the EMS World Expo in Las Vegas recently. It seems like a very legit organization (however, I can not promise anything as I have not worked there yet).

My friend has been working there for a year, says its great. He is also a member of EMTLIFE so I'll try and convince him to answer questions on this thread also. I just thought I would spread the news and answer any questions in case anyone maybe interested, I guess they still need a few guys. Also, they require you be certified as a critical care paramedic in someway, FP-C, CCP-C, CCEMT-P, or something, its flexible due to international hiring. Most medics with critical care certs from most western countries are welcome to apply. A college degree is preferred but not required in all cases. Lastly, you do very little critical care facility transport, its all emergency "fly car" but with additional equipment and expanded scope. Flight opportunities may exists for some eventually.
This is my 3rd contract in the middle east, and by far the best pay, vacation, and contract I have ever signed in the GCC. I am not affiliated with the company in anyway other than a new hire, nor do I receive credit or gain from referring new employees. I am simply sharing the opportunity is all.

Its for this hospital http://www.hmc.org.qa/en/ but you have to apply through these guys http://www.gmrecruiting.com/

**I was not sure if I should post this under employment or international. **

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Other than the certs any experience requirements?

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
At least 2 years post qualification/experience as a Paramedic, in a system using RSI, plus the critical care cert, is the minimum to apply from my understanding.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
At least 2 years post qualification/experience as a Paramedic, in a system using RSI, plus the critical care cert, is the minimum to apply from my understanding.

Damn... Guess I need to move somewhere that does RSI lol

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
lol, I would still send them an email and ask if your even slightly entertaining the idea. I mean you have your FP-C, so you have training/knowledge in RSI. I would think they would evaluate your overall training, education, and experience.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Just out of curiosity, is there usually a foreign language requirement for positions such as this? If Qatar's national language is Arabic...do english speaking paramedics ever have major problems due to a language barrier?

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Just speaking English. When I worked in Saudi and in UAE, it was the same. They have no real local Paramedics in those countries, only EMT level, so they bring in westerners for that, and a million other jobs. All that oil money they have to throw around....
The language barrier can prove challenging at times, normally the BLS ambulance crew translates for you, or your partner translates(depending on the system). You also start to pick up some rudimentary spoken Arabic pretty damn fast lol. From my understanding on this contract its the BLS crew translating. However, sometimes the locals will speak speak English(at various levels)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Damn... Guess I need to move somewhere that does RSI lol

Right there with ya brother. Plus I only have a year as a medic and CCEMT-P doesn't start until January then going to sit for either CCP-C or FP-C after that.

Got me all excited! :(

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Right there with ya brother. Plus I only have a year as a medic and CCEMT-P doesn't start until January then going to sit for either CCP-C or FP-C after that.

Got me all excited! :(

I'm at almost two as a medic... and I have my FP-C lol Maybe I'll make a move soon.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
For all the "RSI guys", I emailed my recruiter and asked the following..."a couple people have asked me if the 2 years of experience must include working in a system uses RSI or has RSI(Rapid Sequence Intubation) in there scope of practice?"

I got the following reply,
"2 years must be at the same level yes – thus Critical Care / Advanced Life Support paramedic. They do not necessarily need to have 2 years RSI experience – but they need to be able / current RSI experience."

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that in many countries other than the United States there are 2 levels of Paramedic, "Intensive care/Critical Care" and "Paramedics", depending on the system and country RSI is reserved for the top level paramedic, which often carry's the title Intensive Care or Critical care. However, our system is different. As long as you explain your the "highest nationally regonized pre-hospital provider" in the U.S. and have a critical care paramedic cert(FP-C,CCP-C,CCEMT-P, something) and explain you have had training in RSI, and that your system does not currently use it, I would think you would be good to go. I can't say for sure, but its worth a shot if your interested.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For all the "RSI guys", I emailed my recruiter and asked the following..."a couple people have asked me if the 2 years of experience must include working in a system uses RSI or has RSI(Rapid Sequence Intubation) in there scope of practice?"

I got the following reply,
"2 years must be at the same level yes – thus Critical Care / Advanced Life Support paramedic. They do not necessarily need to have 2 years RSI experience – but they need to be able / current RSI experience."

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that in many countries other than the United States there are 2 levels of Paramedic, "Intensive care/Critical Care" and "Paramedics", depending on the system and country RSI is reserved for the top level paramedic, which often carry's the title Intensive Care or Critical care. However, our system is different. As long as you explain your the "highest nationally regonized pre-hospital provider" in the U.S. and have a critical care paramedic cert(FP-C,CCP-C,CCEMT-P, something) and explain you have had training in RSI, and that your system does not currently use it, I would think you would be good to go. I can't say for sure, but its worth a shot if your interested.

Thanks for the update man! :) looks like I need to wait for my FPC creds to come in the mail and then I'll be applying

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Qatar Medic

Hello all, the last twelve months I have been working as an Independent Practicing Clinician here in Doha, Qatar. Qatar is the country to get the World Cup in 2022. There is a huge push to develop the EMS system here. They need to recruit at least forty more medics at this time. Especially Oregon Medics who have a great reputation out here because of our degree. Everyone knows someone out of work back home, or only working part time, or someone who hates the system back home and desperately wants a change.

Starting salary is $8300.00 USD per month
You get 45 days of paid holiday off per year to start. (Since those are working days. That's almost three months paid time off a year.)
You get paid round trip tickets home once per year on Qatar Airways back to the US. For yourself and your family.
You get free housing in a nice three bedroom flat. All utilities paid. (You pay Satellite and Internet)
You get full FREE medical for yourself, and your family.
If you have children, you get a percentage of money paid, toward paid private schooling.

The best part is that there are no taxes here, and if your outside of the US for 330 days. You pay ZERO State, or Federal taxes on your first $96,000. Then your only taxed on the amount over the 96k.

Working as an Independent Practicing Clinician is seriously the best job I have ever had. Think PA that comes to your house. We work in a two tier system. The Ambulance goes out first, and then if they need one of us, we respond in our Chase vehicle to assist.
We have very little to no medical over site (Independent Remember) I actually have my own medical practice here. We do carry clinical guidelines, but you don't have to follow them, as long as what your doing is Clinically Acceptable, and you have a reason for deviating from them. They are more there in case you get stuck, or don't know what to do. We carry a wide range of medications, that we would never be able to carry back home.

We work 16/12hr shifts per month. There is OT available if you want it. But we're caped at 56hrs per month. Not because there's not more OT. But because they still understand that spending time with your family is important.

Our equipment is all brand new, and State of the Art.
LifePak 15's
Glide Scopes
Fiber Optic Laryngoscopes
Oxylog 3000 plus vents
LUCAS CPR device.

I have been working overseas now for four years. This is by far the best contract I have ever worked on. If your looking for an adventure, fed up with the system back home, or want to save enough money to pay cash for a new home. This could be the job for you! If you have any further questions, or would like to know how to apply. Please feel free to message me. Cheers

Aaron McCord
Oregon Paramedic/AAS
Independent Practicing Clinician
Doha, Qatar

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
I was told that you need a degree with two years of Medic experience. In the absence of a degree, you will need two or three years of documentable Critical Care experience. Either the FP-C, CCEMTP, or MICP. I got hired here with an AAS in Emergency Medicine. 8 years of Lead Paramedic Experience. 3 years of HEMS experience. My Oregon Medic License, and the Mobil Intensive Care Paramedic Course. Yes, you need RSI experience. We do that a lot over here because of all the Traumatic Injuries. RTA's, Fall from Height Etc. Etc. You will see trauma here like no where else.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Zero, we have the largest US airbase in the Middle East. There used to be two US Carrier groups of shore. Now only one. My wife and three kids are here, in fact most of the medics have our families here. Ever here of Qatar in the news? Well anything except the World Cup? Then there's your answer. It's safer here then in the US. Drugs are punishable by death. So little to zero drug problems. The did just have a murder. It's the first one in almost a decade. No guns, so no gun violence. We do get the occasional stabbing, or Assault. But that's about it. Crime here is almost non-existent.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
No, it's pretty expensive and quite a process to get you here. The contract is for three Years. That being said, you can resign after giving 90 days notice. But you will not receive your contract completion bonus, and you will be responsible for the remainder of your furniture allowance and any other outstanding debit.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
No, it's pretty expensive and quite a process to get you here. The contract is for three Years. That being said, you can resign after giving 90 days notice. But you will not receive your contract completion bonus, and you will be responsible for the remainder of your furniture allowance and any other outstanding debit.

That's valid. Maybe someday..

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
It should also be noted, what they consider "Critical Care" experience is not what you think. Its not transporting people on intrathoracic balloon pump's, or knowing what gas laws apply to transport of patients in non-pressurized aircraft, nor does it apply to LVAD's or anything "non emergency" for critical care. "Critical Care" to them in a nutshell appears to be progressive ALS system experience in lieu of what we would consider critical care. So if you have 2 years experience as an American Paramedic in a progressive ALS system and a critical care merit badge of anykind, I would apply. If you have actual critical care experience, then even better.