Critical Care Paramedic

michael150

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys!

Really short question for you. What classes should I take prior to starting or completing CCP? Could I take A&P concurrently to it? What do you think?!

Summit

Critical Crazy
You should take A&P post-haste. I cannot imagine trying to understand critical care medicine without A&P.

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
You should take A&P post-haste. I cannot imagine trying to understand critical care medicine without A&P.

I figured as much. Well, here’s my thing. The program I was going to apply to starts in August. I can start A/P1 during the summer but I won’t be able to do 2 until fall. Do you think I could understand it with only 1 course done?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Your profile says you’re from Omaha, and seeing how the CCP course starts in August I’m going to go out on a limb here and presume you’re referring to Creighton.

How long have you been a practicing paramedic, and more importantly, how long has it been since you’ve taken any sort of college courses?

Are you familiar with the program at hand? They don’t require A&P, and I didn’t have a college-level A&P course under my belt before I went through it, so it’s not a dealbreaker.

With all that said, everybody is different. Also, what are you hoping to gain from taking a CCP course? A patch? A CCP job? Both?

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
Your profile says you’re from Omaha, and seeing how the CCP course starts in August I’m going to go out on a limb here and presume you’re referring to Creighton.

How long have you been a practicing paramedic, and more importantly, how long has it been since you’ve taken any sort of college courses?

Are you familiar with the program at hand? They don’t require A&P, and I didn’t have a college-level A&P course under my belt before I went through it, so it’s not a dealbreaker.

With all that said, everybody is different. Also, what are you hoping to gain from taking a CCP course? A patch? A CCP job? Both?

VentMonkey, you are correct. I am referring to Creighton’s program that starts in August in a hybrid format. I graduated medic school in December (not from Creighton) and have been working in a trauma center in Omaha. I’m in college level courses full time right now and will be for quite some time. They do not require A&P, or any other courses, for that matter but being in the healthcare field I think it’s important to know everything we can to serve our patients at the level we can.

In regards to what I hope to gain, the answer is quite simple. Knowledge. I love this field (cheesy I know) and I want to be able to know what is going on with my patients. I haven’t officially decided on where I want to go with my medical career, be it nursing or medical school but if I went to nursing school and wound up in the ICU, on flight, CCT, or ER I think my knowledge as a medic or a CCP would be valuable.

Thanks for any help and as much as this sounds corny and cheesy and I’m green, I know that I’m going to make healthcare my career. I just want to know what I can and help the way I want to in the capacity my patients need.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don’t think anyone here on this forum will find what you’ve said as cheesy. It’s an excellent course, and even more so, an excellent critical care paramedic course.

I went in with a little bit over a year’s worth of critical care paramedic experience, just under a decade as a paramedic, and still that same “thirst for knowledge” that you speak of.

I won’t beat a dead horse as I’ve touted Rick Erickson’s course on here multiple times before, but it definitely goes above and beyond for the serious paramedics looking to go more in-depth with their knowledge-base, and it also provokes clinical diagnoses and the thought processes at the next prehospital paramedic level.

I will say, don’t take the course lightly. I jokingly told Rick I found the course to be a boot camp for even seasoned paramedics. It was essentially like doing paramedic (didactic) school all over again without a full blown clinical/ internship.

Honestly? If I needed FP-C CE’s again I wouldn’t not consider doing it again. It is not “death by PowerPoint”.

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
I don’t think anyone here on this forum will find what you’ve said as cheesy. It’s an excellent course, and even more so, an excellent critical care paramedic course.

I went in with a little bit over a year’s worth of critical care paramedic experience, just under a decade as a paramedic, and still that same “thirst for knowledge” that you speak of.

I won’t beat a dead horse as I’ve touted Rick Erickson’s course on here multiple times before, but it definitely goes above and beyond for the serious paramedics looking to go more in-depth with both their knowledge-base, and strengthen their clinical diagnosis abilities.

I will say, don’t take the course lightly. I jokingly told Rick I found the course to be a boot camp for even seasoned paramedics. It was essentially like doing paramedic (didactic) school all over again without a full blown clinical/ internship.

Honestly? If I needed FP-C CE’s again I wouldn’t not consider doing it again. It is not “death by PowerPoint”.

Do you think that I will be at a major disadvantage because I do not have the experience that someone like you had? I want to do well, I have a thirst for knowledge, and I feel like this course will help me be a better paramedic and provider. Did you do the course in the hybrid form or all in class?

Thank you VentMonkey. I really appreciate the information and even you telling me that what I said wasn’t cheesy. I’m obviously a greenie in this field and this forum has definitely become my basis of gaining some knowledge before researching myself.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Do you think that I will be at a major disadvantage because I do not have the experience that someone like you had?
Not necessarily. Another thing I liked about the course was that there were providers with different levels of experience from all over the country, and from a multitude of different agencies.
Did you do the course in the hybrid form or all in class?
I’m nowhere near Omaha, so if by hybrid you mean online, then ya’ I did the hybrid course.

I met my classmates for the clinical portion (which is pass/ fail), and opted to do my ICU/CCU time at Creighton when it was still open. In hindsight, I had a blast.

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
Not necessarily. Another thing I liked about the course was there were providers with different levels of experience from all ove the country, and from a multitude of different agencies.

I’m nowhere near Omaha, so if by hybrid you mean online, then ya.

I met my classmates for the clinical portion (which is pass/ fail), and opted to do my ICU/CCU time at Creighton when it was still open. In hindsight, I had a blast.

VentMonkey, thanks for information. I really do appreciate it. Do you think I should at least take anatomy part one before starting the course?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'd recommend anatomy and physiology.

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
I think A&P for this is a must.. I didn't know it wasn't a requirement to get into medic programs.. I have a hard time understanding how anyone could grasp most paramedic concepts without A&P. I'm glad I took it before my medic course but CCP has got you looking at lab values and other in depth medicine. You should have a solid foundation so you don't get overwhelmed. Just my 2 cents.

ParamagicFF

Forum Crew Member
I took A&P along with my paramedic coursework and it was very beneficial. I know many paramedics who have never taken general science coursework, and plenty of them are functional. That being said, there is a clear difference between medics who have a stronger science background and those who don't. The education enables you to more deeply understand pharmacology, and will definitely help with differentiating severity of ortho injuries to name a few benefits.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Last time I looked Creighton still required a 1-year experience minimum. OP, if you’re still under the 1-year requirement, then taking an A&P course seems like an easy choice.

And, if you’re that new to this field you probably have plenty of time to prepare for this course. I’m not going to tell you that you absolutely need it.

Again, not having reviewed any serious A&P in over a decade didn’t seem to prohibit me from learning, grasping, or understanding the topics discussed at hand. But, I am not you and vice versa.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok. I give up. I have been looking for an answer to this question for an hour. I sent creighton an email four days ago with no response so far.

Is the creighton program presented online at specific times on specific days, or is the online portion completed at the students leaisure? Obviously there’s assignments and so forth that need to be competed on a schedule, but I’m specifically talking about the lectures.

Anybody know? Thanks?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@hometownmedic5, the online course's lectures are released on a weekly basis, and the projected timeline for both the in-person and online classes that are on their website is how long the course itself will run. So, it's not done at your leisure, per se.

Essentially, you're given a course start date then the first week will begin and you're assignments (along with the lecture/s) are given to you to be completed by a certain date before you can move on to the next week. If you begin to fall behind, your grade/ credit for that particular week, and overall class grade/ score will decline as well; IIRC, you need an 80% overall to pass the course. Each week should contain an article, discussion board, lecture, and exam on a specific critical care topic.

He also does (did) live discussions on topics that many newer providers may, or have struggle/d with (e.g., ventilator management, hemodynamics, etc.), but this all seemed to depend on how involved the class was overall, and in general.

PM me if this isn't a specific enough answer for you.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
@hometownmedic5, the online course's lectures are released on a weekly basis, and the projected timeline for both the in-person and online classes that are on their website is how long the course itself will run. So, it's not done at your leisure, per se.

Essentially, you're given a course start date then the first week will begin and you're assignments (along with the lecture/s) are given to you to be completed by a certain date before you can move on to the next week. If you begin to fall behind, your grade/ credit for that particular week, and overall class grade/ score will decline as well; IIRC, you need an 80% overall to pass the course. Each week should contain an article, discussion board, lecture, and exam on a specific critical care topic.

He also does (did) live discussions on topics that many newer providers may, or have struggle/d with (e.g., ventilator management, hemodynamics, etc.), but this all seemed to depend on how involved the class was overall, and in general.

PM me if this isn't a specific enough answer for you.

I think we’re on the same page. So, on Monday, that weeks lecture presentations are posted, along with some assignments. The student needs to have viewed all the material and completed all assignments by Sunday night, but doesn’t need to be there specifically at this or that time?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The student needs to have viewed all the material and completed all assignments by Sunday night, but doesn’t need to be there specifically at this or that time?
Correct, though I don’t recall what day of the week specifically you have until, and/ or if it’s a week, week and a half, etc. The lectures are essentially all pre-recorded.

You’ll also need to be involved with the discussion board. I believe it’s reply to at least to 2 other posters. This part I actually enjoyed quite a bit. They do grade on your replies, and the length of response that you go into as well.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Correct, though I don’t recall what day of the week specifically you have until, and/ or if it’s a week, week and a half, etc. The lectures are essentially all pre-recorded.

You’ll also need to be involved with the discussion board. I believe it’s reply to at least to 2 other posters. This part I actually enjoyed quite a bit. They do grade on your replies, and the length of response that you go into as well.

As long as I can complete the lectures at two am in my underoos, thats all that matters. Thanks!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
@VentMonkey what was the clinical portion like? I've got a local one I am planning to attend late this year, but you've got me curious with your good marks about Creighton.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@VentMonkey what was the clinical portion like?
3 days, 2 in the ICU and one in the CCU. They gave you the option to either do them there at their trauma center, or find one closer to you as long as you could get it approved through your program manager/ hospital site, and have the paperwork signed off on.

You can't get a certificate of completion, course credit, or CE without the clinical portion. Had the clinicals been any longer it would have felt like a paramedic school redux with fresh materials, and no field internship. They're pretty laid back though, and actually do leave themselves open to students, and former students.