Critical Care Ops

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Flight, ground, both. Let's hear your CCT ops set up be it past, present, or even future. I'll go first.

We're a small set up, 1 ground CCT unit, and one RW (407). We have a total of 3 shifts for each station/ bases which work a 24 hour on/ off rotating Kelly schedule that parallels the local city fire departments. We're a separate division (actually a separate company) of a larger ambulance company on the southern tip of the California's Central Valley. We have separate nurse protocols for our CCT division to allow for some expanded formulary, and RSI; the protocols are the same from ground, and air be it the IFT, or 911 calls that we respond to.

Ground:
Our unit is a 2009 Freightliner chassis with a double cab for family members to ride in up front on LDT's. We do a mixture of IFT/ LDT's, and 911 calls. The call volume varies and can range from a 24 hour shift with all IFT/ LDT's, to all 911, to a mixture of both, though they do try and keep us dedicated to CCT transfers, as this is our main priority. We hardly run ALS transfers. Our set up is RN/P/B, and all of our ground employees are employeed by our larger, parent company. The EMT's, and paramedics are free to roam to the "911" side, and pick up shifts as they see fit.

Air:
We have a Bell 407 single engine RW that is owned, and operated by the largest air medical provider in the country, to my knowledge. Our staffing is RN/P, and both the paramedic, and nurse are employees of our parent company, and not our vendors; the pilot is an employee of our vendor. We are one of two helicopters in our county who split the geographical areas for 911 scene response. Our call volume is ~60/40 scene to IFT which seems to alternate by rotation, week, month, cosmic alignment, etc., etc., etc. We are a CAMTS accredited program all around, so all of our RN's and paramedics must have the proper certifications within 2 years of hire, be it CFRN, CCRN, CEN, CCP-C, or FP-C.

That's my program in a nutshell, so what's say we hear yours?...:)

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yes.

IFRMedic

Forum Probie
ahh cool. besides the 407 it seems like a cool program. we had a ground leg (san juaquin) and hall picked us up right by your base.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And where might I ask do you work, sir?:)

TXmed

Forum Captain
my cct experience has been all air medical. Mixture of 206 and 407's. RN/P crew, CAMTS accredited based in texas. Scene to IFT is 70/30 although some of the IFT's might as well be scene flights especially when we pick if from a hospital by the border of mexico, which we do frequently. Transport times range from 20min to 90min. We do IABP, impellas, invasive monitoring. We can do any transfer except ECMO.

Ive worked here for a year and a half. Before that i did 4+ years ground 911 in a pretty busy urban service.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@VentMonkey - Sure! .. i work for Mercy Air, down in SD. I pick up shifts at our Mojave base sometimes.
Very cool. Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. There are quite a few SoCal people on here who I'm sure would love to pick a Mercy Air paramedics brain, too.

SD, huh? 5, 6, or 19?

IFRMedic

Forum Probie
19? we dont have a 19. ... i dont really wanna out my base honestly..but, i can PM you if you really want to know.

sure! ive been lurking this site for a while, will answer any question within reason.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
19? we dont have a 19. ... i dont really wanna out my base honestly..but, i can PM you if you really want to know.

sure! ive been lurking this site for a while, will answer any question within reason.
PM sent.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have worked for two programs. Both in western Texas.
One was a pure fixed wing program, we flew a King Air 200 on regional and longer haul flights w/ anything from stable repatriation flights to critical transfers to specialty centers. Even a few fixed wing 'scene flights' (land at airport and meet a 911 ambulance w/ a patient going to a higher level of care that has yet to go to a hospital). We worked set days, 48 hours one week, 72 the next. Great schedule and good company to work for
The place I worked before that was an odd duck. My base was frontier texas 911 at a CCT level (BIS monitors, iStats, expansive protocols, expanded formulary, vents on every truck, etc), but we also had a fixed wing based in town. The company also ran fixed wing operations at 2 other bases (at the time, now it's more like 4). 7 days on/7 days off was my rotation, which wasn't too bad considering it was 360 miles each way.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thread bump...for the sake of keeping this section of our forum alive:).

I would still love to hear from others. Past, present, or future. Any CCT/ HEMS ops. Whether you are, were, or will be an EMT, paramedic, RN, M.D., what-ev-er!

I would be interested in hearing others experiences with whatever service interests you, you have worked for, or anything in between.

I know there's a group of guys on here who recently got hired with some Air Methods outfits throughout the country; no need to out your ops, or base directly if you don't want to, but feel free to update our community!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Just got back from cooperate orientation and start will start orientation at my program this week. My main base has a 407 and the other base I will be training at has a BK117. Both do IABP/VAD and specialty team flights, BK117 can fly ECMO. RN/P team.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just got back from cooperate orientation and start will start orientation at my program this week. My main base has a 407 and the other base I will be training at has a BK117. Both do IABP/VAD and specialty team flights, BK117 can fly ECMO. RN/P team.
How long is corporate orientation, and is it the same amount of time for all new hire med crew members?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
How long is corporate orientation, and is it the same amount of time for all new hire med crew members?

6 days. All new hire med crew members attend. 8 weeks local orientation.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I worked for 3 HEMS/CCT programs. The last one was a large health-system based program. We had 3 helicopter bases (Bell 430's when I started with the program, but we had switched to EC-135's by the time I left) that were always staffed RN/RRT or RN/RN. We also had 3 FW's (two Citation jets and a King Air 200) that were staffed the same as the helicopters, and a busy ground division. Ground staffing could be anything from EMT only to paramedic, to the same as the aircraft. I worked full time at one of the helicopter bases and also rotated through FW and ground shifts. We did some IABP transports but mostly a lot of trauma and general critical care (sepsis, etc.) transports. A lot of burns too.

Also had a dedicated NICU team that responded by whichever mode was appropriate considering distance and time sensitivity.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Fixed wing Paramedic/Paramedic crew in a King Air C90.
@usalsfyre, nice! I haven't heard of too many PM/PM HEMS configurations. How did you find it worked in terms of efficiency? I'd imagine you'd have to be a pretty solid CCP to work double PM, on a FW nonetheless.

6 days. All new hire med crew members attend. 8 weeks local orientation.
@Chase , just for my personal knowledge, how long is each new hires training once they're placed at their base of hire? Is it dependent on them personally? Is there a bare minimum?

"
I worked for 3 HEMS/CCT programs. The last one was a large health-system based program. We had 3 helicopter bases (Bell 430's when I started with the program, but we had switched to EC-135's by the time I left) that were always staffed RN/RRT or RN/RN. We also had 3 FW's (two Citation jets and a King Air 200) that were staffed the same as the helicopters, and a busy ground division. Ground staffing could be anything from EMT only to paramedic, to the same as the aircraft. I worked full time at one of the helicopter bases and also rotated through FW and ground shifts. We did some IABP transports but mostly a lot of trauma and general critical care (sepsis, etc.) transports. A lot of burns too.

Also had a dedicated NICU team that responded by whichever mode was appropriate considering distance and time sensitivity.
@Remi, very cool. Were the ground paramedics utilized in a critical care fashion, or did they mainly drive?

What was your scene to IFT ratio at the RRT/RN/RN program?

We have one (large) program up and down the California coast that is an entire RN/RN configuration. They fly all 135's if I am not mistaken, with one or two FW in their fleet.
They were recently acquired by one of the larger competitors as well.

Thanks guys for contributing, good stuff!:)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I believe it is standardized for everyone. 8 weeks doing simulations, OR time, and 3rd rider and then 3 months "probationary" period. I am sure it would be extended if needed.