Criminal Backgrounds and DMV

JRod92

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. Wondering about C.A DMV and Criminal backgrounds. Has anybody else had a brush in with the law (felony or minor offence) and still got Ambulance Cert. I was Approved by NREMT and was Licensed by C.A state EMS office. Just getting ready to fight the DMV. I do not have any driving offences, NO DUIs or anything related. Just took some stuff that did not belong to me over 7 years ago (was charged with Burglary at the age of 19) Just wanted to get some tips and what to expect.
Thanks
-Jonathan R

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The DMV only records driving related issues. If you have nothing on your record then you should be fine.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
Most companies do an OIG, SAM Background checks california can be a difficult place though. You were licensed though so that will help. DMV i believe just looks at accident records and traffic related offenses.

Hey guys. Wondering about C.A DMV and Criminal backgrounds. Has anybody else had a brush in with the law (felony or minor offence) and still got Ambulance Cert. I was Approved by NREMT and was Licensed by C.A state EMS office. Just getting ready to fight the DMV. I do not have any driving offences, NO DUIs or anything related. Just took some stuff that did not belong to me over 7 years ago (was charged with Burglary at the age of 19) Just wanted to get some tips and what to expect.
Thanks
-Jonathan R

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You’ll be fine 👍
Good luck at your new job.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks
-Jonathan R

“Just took some stuff...” that right there is an issue. You are a convicted Felon. Don’t blow it off so lightly. You are being entrusted with patients who may have jewelry, money, etc. You treat it as nothing. It’s something. Be ready to be called on it at some point.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
“Just took some stuff...” that right there is an issue. You are a convicted Felon. Don’t blow it off so lightly. You are being entrusted with patients who may have jewelry, money, etc. You treat it as nothing. It’s something. Be ready to be called on it at some point.

I was working my way in that direction too, but I'm curious about how the state licensed him in the first place and where the DMV comes into this story (and why he feels like he needs to fight the DMV)..

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Very true, although it is likely a misdemeanor. Felons cannot get an NREMT card to my knowledge, not be certified by CA. It may be an issue in the future for an interview, and you will likely be easily terminated if any accusations of theft or misdeed arises given the history.
Given the time since your conviction and the fact you already have your certifications after the fact- I think you’ll have no issues.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Welcome to California.

California assembly bill 109(AB109) from 2011 is a blast to read about if you have some time.

TLDR is the dollar amount of items taken matters a lot now and 7 years ago for him puts him within the new laws.
This... CA bonkers.
Also: charged vs convicted. What’s the real story?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
charged is arrested and given a court date/ arraigned. Convicted is found guilty/plea/no contest. It shows up on any background investigation.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Welcome to California.

California assembly bill 109(AB109) from 2011 is a blast to read about if you have some time.

TLDR is the dollar amount of items taken matters a lot now and 7 years ago for him puts him within the new laws.

The dollar amount refers to the theft, but burglary is charged when someone enters an inhabitable building without permission in order to commit a crime, at which point the crime is a felony regardless of how much was stolen..

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
@JRod92
Was it a felony or misdemeanor? And we’re you convicted or not?

OP
OP
J

JRod92

Forum Ride Along
I was working my way in that direction too, but I'm curious about how the state licensed him in the first place and where the DMV comes into this story (and why he feels like he needs to fight the DMV)..
State licensed me with 3 years probation and did an intensive interrogation on me, NREMT did the same. I was wondering if I'd have to get filtered by the DMV as well. Being that NREMT and State did that already. So it kind feels like a fight to me.

OP
OP
J

JRod92

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the advise

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sounds like he knows it is an uphill battle to regain the public trust, and he is doing just that. He will be scrutinized for some time.
Good luck @JRod92, I hope your past is in the past. You won't get another shot.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
State licensed me with 3 years probation and did an intensive interrogation on me, NREMT did the same. I was wondering if I'd have to get filtered by the DMV as well. Being that NREMT and State did that already. So it kind feels like a fight to me.

In that case, no, I don’t believe the DMV will have any record of this. Your DMV check by the employer will only show your driving record.

caveat - I do not live in California. It’s possible (although unlikely in my opinion) that California dmv does things different.