CPR Test?

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
New test may be able to tell if CPR is futile

NEW YORK - If your heart suddenly stopped, how long should rescue workers try to save you? Should you be taken to the hospital even if you can't be revived and are likely to die?

Canadian researchers say they've devised a test that helps rescue workers spot those futile cases and save a frantic trip to the hospital.

Some paramedics with advanced training — those who can give drugs and start IVs — already are allowed to stop giving CPR if their efforts fail and they have consulted a doctor, said lead researcher, Dr. Laurie J. Morrison of the University of Toronto.

Read more here...

Comments? Thoughts?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Interesting. My thought: in the example where only 4 out of 700 someting survived... well, what about those 4? If the criteria said they would die, so you didn't continue resucitation, they definitely would die. Those 4 people are parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, etc to someone, who I'm pretty sure is very grateful that the EMTs did all they could.

I think the current protocol doesn't allow us to play God - but the scenario she decides about stopping would put that power into hands of EMTs with 100 hours of training.

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
rescuecpt said:
I think the current protocol doesn't allow us to play God - but the scenario she decides about stopping would put that power into hands of EMTs with 100 hours of training.

That's where my line of thought was....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
my question is what changed the outcome in those 4, and what was their quality of life afterwards?

Were they revived with high-dose epi and went on to spend 20 years wasting away in a SNF?

Did they have a bad IV or tube that was caught on ED arrivial, when it was corrected, the patient made a full recovery?