CPR report card

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Does anyone here use a "CPR Report Card' to provide feedback to the providers after an arrest? I've seen a few examples, but can't seem to find them now!

I'm looking for a standardized format for reporting following each arrest.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
This isn't quite what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there.

We do Cardiac Arrest After Action Reports every Wednesday. It's an open meeting for anyone to attend. The Clinical dept goes over the cardiac arrest for the previous week and replays the entire call. The start with 911 call audio, watch a playback of the dispatchers screen and the call processing, and watch the response play back on our GPS tracking software. The idea here is identify any hang UPS or delays that can be addressed to prevent happening in the future.

Then they open the PCR and monitor data and look at the call clinically. They go through the monitor data to check for CPR compliance (we use a Lucas, so basically just looking at compression pauses), and then the report to look to make sure everything was done properly.

This is also opportunity to follow up if you believe your patient may have a good outcome.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a scene eval form that gets filled out on calls like arrests. I don't know if it gets filled out for every single one, but calls of that type that a sup is on for can/do get them. I tend to review calls with my partner and a sup anyway, so it's not a big deal to me, it's more so helpful for annual reviews and stuff.

That being said, if you are going to do them, make sure any criticism is explained clearly. I've only gotten one with negative marks, but I stand by my choices and another supervisor agreed with my plan. My problem with it was I had areas marked as No for good performance, but no good explanation as to why what I did was wrong and/or no suggestions on what could have been better. In that call, my choices were the best ones, but I admit my implementation could have definitrly been better and smoother. Nothing like that was addressed or mentioned.

So if you're going to being bringing it in, highlighting strong points is fine, but constructive criticism needs to be much more thorough than a check box and a vague sentence saying "blah blah this was wrong" or not even elaborating at all on why something was poorly marked.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I’m working on the feedback sheet now. I’ll share it when its complete. I’d like feedback from you guys.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Will this report card include the 911 dispatchers and the first responders, or just the ambulance people? Are the other agencies open to criticism from you about what they did well and not well?

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Our Medical Director reviews each cardiac arrest, including the voice recording and LP15 data followed by reviewing the chart in ESO. He then sends us back individualized feedback on each and every case. We use our EMS Online Training website that tracks every Paramedics CPR calls. I can go back and review all of my CPR's whenever I want to log on and see them. I can listen to the entire call and see the EKG throughout the evolution. We can see when compressions might be paused and for how long, shocks delivered, drugs given, procedures etc. We also get follow up as to whether or not patient survived to discharge, neurological status and what procedures and course of treatment was done at the receiving hospital.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

You guys do arrest QI better than anyone.

Our Medical Director reviews each cardiac arrest, including the voice recording and LP15 data followed by reviewing the chart in ESO. He then sends us back individualized feedback on each and every case. We use our EMS Online Training website that tracks every Paramedics CPR calls. I can go back and review all of my CPR's whenever I want to log on and see them. I can listen to the entire call and see the EKG throughout the evolution. We can see when compressions might be paused and for how long, shocks delivered, drugs given, procedures etc. We also get follow up as to whether or not patient survived to discharge, neurological status and what procedures and course of treatment was done at the receiving hospital.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I'm working on getting the dispatch QI adding to the report. I want to provide quick feedback to the providers immediately following an arrest.

Will this report card include the 911 dispatchers and the first responders, or just the ambulance people? Are the other agencies open to criticism from you about what they did well and not well?