CPR in progress, with a DNR

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
While reading the forums tonight I came across this...

OH my favorite!!!

Tones Drop
Dispatch: 17-Ambulance-1 Code Responce, Report to XXXXNorth XXXXEast Rd for 85F not breathing.

Upon arrival family crying, Son doing directed CPR from dispatcher. We take over Rookie does his first comi tube, we put her on the cot, attach the AED, start out the door, Son says "Please save her, we cant live without her, and oh by the way heres her medical records." Rookie Skims through it in route, pops up front, Hey Bob whats this?"

My Response, "A DNR!"

My question is would you continue to provide resuscitation efforts after finding the DNR assuming that the patient verbally voided it... or do you stop all efforts?

Has anyone come across situations like this or have any advice on how you would handle the situation and why. I am just thinking you could open your self up to legal litigations either way you take it.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
a valid, double signed and present dnr is grounds for immediate cessation of rescue effort.

my question back to you, why would you resuscitate someone who wants to be allowed to die?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Nope. Simple answer. Every DNR protocol I've seen has basically made it so that any family member can revoke a DNR at any time.

MA DNR/Comfort Care protocol
If an individual identifying him/herself as the health care agent or guardian revokes the CC/DNR Order Verification, EMS personnel shall resuscitate, as this raises an issue of doubt as to the validity of the CC/DNR Order Verification [emphasis added]
In any situation where EMS personnel have a good faith basis to doubt the continued validity of the CC/DNR Order Verification, EMS personnel shall resuscitate. [emphasis not added]

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2t...services_p_comfort_care_overview&csid=Eeohhs2
Orange County, CA DNR protocol
G. Base contact should be made and the Base Physician consulted and resuscitation should be initiated:
1. If there are any questions regarding validity of the DNR order,
5. If there is disagreement among family members regarding the provision or withdrawal of resuscitative measures, or
6. Anytime emergency response employees have concerns or require assistance.
http://ochealthinfo.com/docs/medical/ems/P&P/330.51.pdf

EDIT:

a valid, double signed and present dnr is grounds for immediate cessation of rescue effort.

my question back to you, why would you resuscitate someone who wants to be allowed to die?

Plans change, things happen. I'm all for honoring verbal DNRs from immediate family (something I can't do in MA) and contacting med control if need be. Unfortunately, if the patient or family changes their mind or disagrees with each other, then it is something that should be handled at the hospital in a controlled setting. You can end resuscitation at any time, but, practically speaking, you can't restart it once you stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
for a family member to make that call on scene, they have to prove they are the proxy or guardian. this means showing me the proper documentation.

im sorry, but i dont believe in people being kept alive past their natural life span for the benefit of the family that doesnt want to let go.

jrm818

Forum Captain
for a family member to make that call on scene, they have to prove they are the proxy or guardian. this means showing me the proper documentation.

im sorry, but i dont believe in people being kept alive past their natural life span for the benefit of the family that doesnt want to let go.

That's your belief - but MA protocols do not require proof of legal guardianship, and implicitly require that the family be accepting of the decision to die without resuscitation attempts. JPINFV quotes them above - all one has to do is "identify" themselves as a health care agent, not provide any evidence. The CC/DNR has to be proven to be in effect, but not proof is required to revoke it. The burden was intentionally placed such that with any dispute, the patient is resuscitated.

Seriously, I doubt very many properly appointed health care proxies could provide proof of proxy ship immediatly in an emergency situation. There is no bracelet form for that - the documentation is likely filed and locked away somewhere. Are you going to wait to initiate CPR while they go search through the "p's"? What if they are not at home? in MA, the law states that they need only claim proxyship, not prove it.

the CC/DNR protocol only works when the family is on-board with the patients decision. It needs to be discussed and agreed upon beforehand by everyone involved in the patient's care. A child asking for resuscitation or disputing the desire of the patient to die means full resuscitation efforts in MA.

From the Q/A on the MA OEMS site:

"4. What if someone identifies themselves as the health care agent and states they do want you to resuscitate and there is a CC/DNR form with the individual?

Even if there is a valid CC/DNR verification form, if there is any question as to the validity of the verification, CPR must be initiated."

Heck, you don't even have to be a health care proxy, all you have to do is say the (now unresponsive) patient changed their minds:

"Revocation of the CC/DNR Order Verification is possible, at any time, by the patient or the authorized decision maker by either: 1) destroying the CC/DNR Order Form, 2) directing that the CC/DNR Order Form, if used, be destroyed; or 3) simply stating or otherwise indicating that the patient wishes to be resuscitated."

to the OP: look at your own state protocols. I suspect they're similar to MA's, but who knows.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
scenario:(btw this is a real call)

you respond for the unresponsive at a private residence.

u/a you find an elderly female supine and unresponsive. assesment reveals a pulseless and apneic patient. there is a double signed and non expiring cc/dnr form present listing a female nok as the hcp/guardian. this person is not present on the scene.

a distraught male person identifying himself as the patients son(the person who handed you the blue paper) asks, the demands recusitative efforts. fwiw, this person is in fact the patients son, but he has a cognitive developmental disability that isnt immediatley apparent due to his hysteria.

the nok is not able to be live contacted.

the resolution of this case will be with held pending comments.

the question(directed mainly at the massachusetts certified dissenters, but open to anyone with very closely similar protocols):

do you work this code?

Brandi

Forum Ride Along
if ems dnr I would stop. if not, go to the hospital, in Kentucky we can only honor EMS DNR, all others are not any good for us

JPINFV

Gadfly
Pending medical control contact (since it is an option here), yes. I have no idea what conversation the patient had with her son prior to departing from this world and it is possible that the patient verbally revoked the DNR prior to collapsing.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
No, I probably wouldn't work it. She's an elderly woman in cardiac arrest with a signed, legal DNR order. The patient has signed it, the doctor has signed it, now she is in arrest. Per the order, no resuscitation is desired. I might try and find out how long ago she arrested, was it witnessed? I would try to explain to the son that this is his mothers wishes, that this is a end of life event and she is already dead. Explain the procedure, pushing on her chest, fx ribs perhaps, putting a tube down here throat, needles in her arm, neck or bone...If that was no good, then I'd contact medical control, and most likely would be told not to work it.

jrm818

Forum Captain
ditto JPINFV. EMT's don't speak to doctors very often in MA, but this is one decision I'd dump on one. Until then, as an EMT without I'm not sure if I'd start CPR or not before I called, depending on the circumstances of the arrest (time down, condition of pt, CPR already in progress, etc.) Any obvious signs of death and I'd not work it.

Did the son say that his mother wanted to be resuscitated, or that he wanted her recussitated? It seem strange that he would hand you the CC/DNR unless he did it with a statement along the line as "she has a DNR but doesn't really want it followed."

If for some extraordinary reason medical command could not be reached, my reaction would depend on the exact actions of the son. If he appears to be simply distraught over the loss of his mother, I'd probably try to calm him down and talk about her wishes to try to get him to agree to withold lifesaving attempts. If he was excited but specific that he wanted her worked regardless of the DNR, I'd probably work it.

Really it's the patients and families responsibility to make sure that everyone, including those with whatever form of developmentally disabled we're talking about understand and are OK with the decision.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Really it's the patients and families responsibility to make sure that everyone, including those with whatever form of developmentally disabled we're talking about understand and are OK with the decision.

I'd have to say its the decision of the PATIENT, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers be damned. A DNR should be discussed with your family and loved ones, however the final word should be the patients. If my family over rode my DNR, I'd come back and haunt them.:p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ditto JPINFV. EMT's don't speak to doctors very often in MA

i guess i have to call the docs i spoke to the thre or four thousand times ive called for med control since i got my ticket in ma an apoligize.

thanks for the heads up, i have a lot of work to do.

JPINFV

Gadfly
ditto JPINFV. EMT's don't speak to doctors very often in MA, but this is one decision I'd dump on one. Until then, as an EMT without I'm not sure if I'd start CPR or not before I called, depending on the circumstances of the arrest (time down, condition of pt, CPR already in progress, etc.) Any obvious signs of death and I'd not work it.

If you don't start CPR prior to calling, then don't bother calling. Response time+assessment (verification of DNR/CC order and verification of full arrest)+time to get medical control clarification=enough time to make resuscitation futile.

To clarify when I mean "actually an option," the location where I worked prior to coming to Mass for grad school didn't have online control set up for EMT-Bs. Even if an EMT-B wanted to call medical control, they couldn't.

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
CPR - yes or no

I found this thread interesting. Here in Wyoming, we have a program called "Do Not Resucitate" - you send your money into the state office, they send you back a form that you and your doctor sign, then you send the form back to the state, and then they send you a bracelet and paper back. You wear the bracelet, place the form either on your refrigerator, or by your bed. This form/bracelet are formal notifications of the patients wishes. If the pt has one you don't start, regardless of what the family says. If the pt decides they want CPR, they take off the bracelet, send it back and it's rescinded.

I know that leaves you all sorts of questions. Fortunately in WY they have made this fairly easy for EMS. (one of the few instances) If CPR is in progress, you run the code. Families can't make the decision whether its run or not run.

In the scenario that started this thread, we would continue the code. CPR was started. Yes, a DNR was handed to us, but it was AFTER the CPR had already been started, and there are so many variables, that we would run the code, but while doing that contact medical control and tell them exactly what happened and then follow their direction.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Families can't make the decision whether its run or not run.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Directives
Ch. 4 - Requirements and Principles

Section 2. General Principles:
(ii) The original cardiopulmonary resuscitation directive form or bracelet shall be apparent and immediately available. If there is a misunderstanding with family members or others at the scene, or other questions concerning the cardiopulmonary resuscitation directive form or bracelet, emergency medical service personnel may utilize on-line medical control for guidance.

(iii) If there is any question about the validity of the cardiopulmonary resuscitation directive form or bracelet, or the identity of the patient, resuscitation shall be initiated.
Emphasis added
http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/1521.pdf

I know that leaves you all sorts of questions. Fortunately in WY they have made this fairly easy for EMS. (one of the few instances) If CPR is in progress, you run the code. Families can't make the decision whether its run or not run.

Ch. 3 - Responsibilities

Section 4. Emergency Medical Services Personnel Responsibilities:

(b) In the event of cardiac or respiratory arrest of a patient with a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation directive form or bracelet, the following procedures shall be immediately withheld or immediately withdrawn by qualified emergency medical service personnel:
(i) chest compression;
(ii) defibrillation;
(iii) manual or mechanical methods to assist breathing.

(d) If a cardiopulmonary resuscitation directive is revoked by the declarant or by a person having
written authorization to make health care decisions on behalf of the patient, emergency medical service personnel shall perform full resuscitation and administer any form of appropriate emergency medical care to the patient.
Emphasis added.
http://soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/1520.pdf

In the end, anyone who thinks that DNR rules/protocols are simple is being mislead. Unless you've read the laws and protocols yourself, I would not trust what your coworkers or EMT-B class taught you since these issues are no where close to being universal.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I found this thread interesting. Here in Wyoming, we have a program called "Do Not Resucitate" - you send your money into the state office, they send you back a form that you and your doctor sign, then you send the form back to the state, and then they send you a bracelet and paper back. You wear the bracelet, place the form either on your refrigerator, or by your bed. This form/bracelet are formal notifications of the patients wishes. If the pt has one you don't start, regardless of what the family says. If the pt decides they want CPR, they take off the bracelet, send it back and it's rescinded.

In the scenario that started this thread, we would continue the code. CPR was started. Yes, a DNR was handed to us, but it was AFTER the CPR had already been started, and there are so many variables, that we would run the code, but while doing that contact medical control and tell them exactly what happened and then follow their direction.

see in mass its one giant charlie foxtrot.

they issue a paper called the comfort care dnr form. this is duly filled out an autographed by both the md and the patient/guardian. it is in effect until such time as it is physically destroyed by the patient, the doctor, or the duly appointed health care proxy. they are not registered with anyone. now it quite clearly states that one must be identified as the guardian or health care proxy to cancel an active dnr. to me(after a fair bit of research and discussion with officials and experienced providers) this means showing me your papers. some disagree with this, but its the scenario above that makes this sort of thing necessary.

the system here is very grey and ambiguous. its a veritable mine field. about the only saving grace in this miasma of a system is this clause:

In any situation where EMS personnel have a good faith basis to doubt the continued validity of the CC/DNR Order Verification, EMS personnel shall resuscitate.

so basically, if you're scratching your head over whether or not to proceede, proceede and sort it out later; but that can cause a poop storm of epic proportions.

further, this one piece of paper(or the accompanying bracelet) is the only type of dnr we can accept. living wills, health care proxys, hospital dnr's etc can not be honored by prehospital providers. you can tatoo a bloody picture of the paper on your chest, but without the blue paper, its a no go.

its a very ridic system that full of potential landmines and pitfalls, but hey its massachusetts, what else is new.

jrm818

Forum Captain
I'd have to say its the decision of the PATIENT, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers be damned. A DNR should be discussed with your family and loved ones, however the final word should be the patients. If my family over rode my DNR, I'd come back and haunt them.:p

But in MA all the family has to do is say "mommy changed her mind," regardless if true, and poof...code gets worked. My point was it's not my responsibility to keep the family in line with the patient's wishes. Of course there's the chance that if they override your DNR you do live too...which puts a kink in your haunting plans temporarily....

KEV:

I've never been sure if you're a basic or medic (or intermediate...though I didn't think we had those anywhere in the eastern part of the state). When I said EMT's don't call except for entry notifications, I meant "EMT-B's" If you're a basic, what exactly are you calling doctors about? "Hey doc, we have a guy with SOB, think he might need some O2?" "What's up doc, got a kid with a hurt spine, want us to backboard it for ya?" There's not that much that a basic can do that requires MD input.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've never been sure if you're a basic or medic (or intermediate...though I didn't think we had those anywhere in the eastern part of the state). When I said EMT's don't call except for entry notifications, I meant "EMT-B's" If you're a basic, what exactly are you calling doctors about? "Hey doc, we have a guy with SOB, think he might need some O2?" "What's up doc, got a kid with a hurt spine, want us to backboard it for ya?" There's not that much that a basic can do that requires MD input.

There are parts of the treatment protocol in Mass for EMT-Bs that require a base hospital order.

For example:

If the patient requests a destination longer than 20 minutes away.

Activated charcoal.

Patient assist nitro if the patient is also taking a phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor (why that's even available via med control, I don't know).

EpiPen use for patients under 5.

I think that there are a few more.

Any time an EMT-B needs/wants guidance (Personally, I would consult online and attempt to get an online order if the family is in complete agreement about not resuscitating or a DNR is in the patient's chart at a health care facility with no CC/DNR paperwork).

We can also use the same radio network that is used to obtain online control to give entry notification.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ive called the doc for many reasons, some mentioned just above there. also for orders to involuntarily take patients, for orders not to involuntarily take pt's, to ask if theres anything i can do besides nothing, to assist with meds not in my protocols(i.e. patient states they need a neb tx and cant set it up themselves(before nebbies were in the bls scope), to get orders to divert or not divert etc etc etc. you're also not considering that some services required olmc for standing orders(an abomination in and of it self, but the fact remains...).

i dont call the doc for every call(except als ift where you have to), but he's on the payroll for a reason. when you need help, man up and ask for it. theres no shame in it, but there is legal liability for not calling when you should have.

but none of that is really relevant to the topic at hand, which is withholding/ceasing efforts.

jrm818

Forum Captain
There are parts of the treatment protocol in Mass for EMT-Bs that require a base hospital order.

For example:

If the patient requests a destination longer than 20 minutes away.

Activated charcoal.

Patient assist nitro if the patient is also taking a phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor (why that's even available via med control, I don't know).

I think that there are a few more.

Any time an EMT-B needs/wants guidance (Personally, I would consult online and attempt to get an online order if the family is in complete agreement about not resuscitating or a DNR is in the patient's chart at a health care facility with no CC/DNR paperwork).

We can also use the same radio network that is used to obtain online control to give entry notification.

I couldn't think of many more.

A) isn't an issue where I am
B) How often is charcoal given, really? I don't know how many EMT's I could find who have given it.
C) acutally never happened to me, I suspect its not all that common
D) Epi under 5 or over 65: also, probably not all that common, but does happen I'm sure
E) suspected CVA with low BGL: probably not super common except for minor BGL changes
F) second dose of inhaler if max dosage not reached. Usually the max dosage was reached prior to EMS being called.
G) chem burns with contact lenses: not that common, though calling for chemical issues in general I could see.
H) trach problems: we'd have ALS for this, probably not uncommon, but I've never called as a basic on my own

Yea you use CMED to give notifications, but usually (if not always) its a nurse that answers the radio at the hospital, you would have to request a physician specifically. In my experience at the basic level the need to speak to an MD is not common, though it certianly does happen. Heck even the albuterol protocol doesn't require MD contact first.

Edit:

Kev, your right this is off topic. So what's the answer to your scenario? I assume it wasn't worked...hopefully everyone was happy with that outcome?