CPI training

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So the ER tech job I might get is going to have me get CPI (crisis prevention intervention) training. Assuming that I get the job and the training, how useful would it be as part of my EMT toolkit?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Useful

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Especially with altered mental status PTs?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Any and all training provides you tools you can use in any situation.

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So I had the interview and I have to wait to see if they’re going to call for a second interview. If I don’t get the job I might just go and take the class on my own.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are going to insist...then here is one of many ZOOM options, this one is $10 and still has plenty of seats, scheduled for May 4th.

Let me sum up CPI training for you. Do not stand over a patient. Do not yell at a patient. If patient becomes hostile with language or acts, state this is unacceptable and disengage from patient by exiting room. Always have your exit unblocked. Watch for verbal cues. Watch for physical cues. Do not cross your arms. Do not place your hands on your hips. Do not power trip. Do not take insults personally and react. Ensure rooms are free from harmful objects prior to patient going in. Be sure patient has no harmful objects on person. Be honest. Be direct. Do not engage in delusional chatter. Do not play along with hallucinations. Know when to call for help (hint: before you actually need help). Also know when to have help wait out of eyesight. Know when to have help stand down as part of the de-escalation agreement.

The goal is to spend every minute needed and utilize every technique possible before going "hands on", because when that occurs, the possibility of one or many getting hurt is now escalated.

Will these techniques work in EMS. Sometimes. It depends on situation and where you are at, however a pre-hospital scene is an uncontrolled scene. There are variables you cannot control which can derail your attempts to mitigate a hostile situation. If PD is on scene as well, that oftens throws out your chances too.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

then there's this guy...must be a droid or something. I would have hurled the phone straight at her head...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Been through CPI and AVADE. Very similar. Both are pretty much the stuff summed above. Don't lie and don't promise something you can't be certain of doing. Always have a way out and don't let your patient get between you and that way out. You really want to avoid going "hands-on" but if you do, commit 100% to it. That's for everyone's safety.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

supreme

Forum Crew Member
Been through CPI and AVADE. Very similar. Both are pretty much the stuff summed above. Don't lie and don't promise something you can't be certain of doing. Always have a way out and don't let your patient get between you and that way out. You really want to avoid going "hands-on" but if you do, commit 100% to it. That's for everyone's safety.
Thinking about it, CPI might be more for insurance and liability purposes. Hey this staff member had to go hands on but didn’t use CPI approved techniques so...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Thinking about it, CPI might be more for insurance and liability purposes. Hey this staff member had to go hands on but didn’t use CPI approved techniques so...
That's another part of the reason why they do CPI (or other system)...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What was strange is that when I worked security at a hospital with an inpatient mental health facility, we would often be called to assist with disruptive or violent patients. Floor staff always complained we did not use the same CPI they had already tried to use and which obviously hadn't worked the first time. As security we used the "Ask, Tell, Make" method because we would prefer that if anyone had to go hands on with a patient we were better trained for it. It was amazing how many frequent fliers suddenly started behaving as soon as we walked onto the floor, which in the long run kept everyone safer.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Ding Ding Ding, Aren't the majority of policies or practices cost driven initially?

OP
OP
Fezman92

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Yup because capitalism.