Cpap

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.Just placed CPAP on the truck today and would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Best thing since sliced bread...

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
saving lives and improving pt outcome everyday.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Must be the Helms Bakery Truck!

CPAP for EM? Never thought of that. Sort of "Byrd Valve Lite"?
I need one but can't tolerate them, althnough I can sleep in either a M-17 or a MCU2-P.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
Mine has made a huge difference in my life, personally. No experience with them in and EMS setting though.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Great tool!!

Saved many patients from being intubated.

(I love when they ask simple things such as what are your thoughts...too easy.)

austinmedic77

Forum Crew Member
This is by far the best advancment in pre-hospital care for the chf pt. We have had it for quite some time and I have not nasally intubated a pt in chf since adding it. LOVE IT.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Wish my ground service had it.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I had to sleep in the same room with a guy on a CPAP machine...I would have rather slept through his snoring :)

Seriously though...CPAP is great.

tydek07

Forum Captain
CPAP is awsome!! It has cut our intubations down A LOT

Pts love it as much as we do haha

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
best thing since..... crap that one was taken...

dmiracco

Forum Crew Member
CPAP is a great tool that is non-invasive and definately dcreases the need for intubation. Intubated patients have a FOUR times the mortality of non-intubated patients not to mention the extended hospital stay and estimated healthcare costs.
I think that should speak for itself.
JAMA December 2005, "Noninvasive Ventilation in Acute Cardiogenic Edema",
45% reduction in mortality
60% reduction in the need to intubate

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
I had to sleep in the same room with a guy on a CPAP machine...I would have rather slept through his snoring :)

Seriously though...CPAP is great.

My wife would have to disagree :glare:

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
One of our instructors brought in a CPAP just for demonstration purposes (we are just an EMT class after all). He said it's amazing and he believes it has reduced the number of patients requiring intubation as well.

I don't know much other than that....once I go out into the field and see the medics using it I'll find out first hand.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
best thing since..... crap that one was taken...

your crap has been taken? we still carry the full crap. We keep it next to the full loaf

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
One of our instructors brought in a CPAP just for demonstration purposes (we are just an EMT class after all). He said it's amazing and he believes it has reduced the number of patients requiring intubation as well.

I don't know much other than that....once I go out into the field and see the medics using it I'll find out first hand.

CPAP is a basic skill where I live. Yet another reason for standardized national training levels. I must say though we actually just reviewed CPAP today in medic class and the knowledge level behind it's use is very much changed since basic class.

mikie

Forum Lurker
CPAP was never touched upon in my basic class...

I have heard a few different opinions, but not enough...Is this a basic skill? Should it be? ***Let's not jump down each others trachea on this, ok??**;)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
We can ask for any skill in the paramedic toolbox if it's a basic skill and someone will say yes. It's never the skill itself that makes the paramedic able to imply ALS procedures it's the knowledge that supports the skill in many ways that sets a skill outside of the 110 hour mark.

Personally as far as CPAP itself is concerned I feel it should be a basic skill as it is so beneficial, there are no higher level diagnostic tests necessary to be able to apply it, and it doesn't have a whole lot of intricacies that make it difficult to employ.

Our basic class did a real crash course going through it and we didn't have the background of A&P to know really what it's trying to accomplish but that isn't necessarily a fact that would prohibit it's effective use in the field going through the basic style cookbook medicine you could find your patient that meets 5 of the 6 inclusion criteria (indications) of CPAP and away you go. Now in medic class we took more time to look at it and exactly what it's trying to accomplish as well as how it accomplishes that which is all beneficial and I'm sure vent could teach me more in 1 post than our teacher did in half an hour but the simple ability to apply the mask after hitting on the criteria is easy enough.