CPAP & Hypotension

Sublime

LP, RN
So I had a transfer coming out of small rural ER going to a large downtown facility yesterday. I get there and am told that a 80 y/o female came in for SOB. Pt. is reportedly hypotensive and tachycardic with low oxygen sats.

Pt. has A-Fib with RVR at a rate of 100-110. Blood pressure is around 70/40 and has been hanging around that number consistently. Pt. has CHF and dementia. This patient also has a signed DNR.

Doctor says to me "Hey do you guys have CPAP? We wanted to put her on it but all ours are being used so we couldn't." I tell him we do and he says we need to use it on her.

Upon entering room and assessing patient it is obvious she is in late stage dementia, she will not answer questions appropriately and yells / groans any time she is touched. Daughter in room states this is her normal mentation. Otherwise she is awake, alert and breathing on her own. 02 Sat is at 91% upon entering room on 2lpm nasal cannula. Lung sounds reveal obvious loud crackles in all quadrants. Despite the lung sounds she doesn't seem to be struggling to breath or even seem short of breath. She is placed on monitor and BP is 67/44. A-Fib w/ RVR like they said at at rate of around 102. Sat. is at 92% on 2l.

I decided CPAP was not a good option. I have never used CPAP on a hypotensive patient before, and I am aware of the pre-load reducing effects by placing pressure on the vena cava. Due to the fact she was doing pretty good without it... I didn't want to risk it. On top of that I doubt she would of been cooperative with that huge mask on her face anyways. She did fine the entire 1.5 hr transport downtown, and required no intervention. She was alert the entire time (talking to the wall at some points), so I am pretty confident I made the right choice.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with CPAP in hypotensive patients, and how risky it really is. Would I of placed my patient in danger had she accepted the mask with that BP? Is there a certain limit on the BP where you decide CPAP is not a safe option?

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
SBP has to be above 90 to use CPAP on my floor. Not sure if that is a strict rule or more of a guideline.

Based on your description of the patient it sounds like CPAP was not needed. If they really were SOB then it may be worth a shot to optimize Bp and try CPAP before going for the tube. Sounds like decompensated CHF. The heart rate isn't crazy so I doubt you will get much better without going for inotropes. But then again if she is a DNR how much does the family actually want?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Contraindications for cpap around here is also SBP below 90.

Agreed, unless there was significant SOB, I don't see the need

OP
OP
Sublime

Sublime

LP, RN
SBP has to be above 90 to use CPAP on my floor. Not sure if that is a strict rule or more of a guideline.

Based on your description of the patient it sounds like CPAP was not needed. If they really were SOB then it may be worth a shot to optimize Bp and try CPAP before going for the tube. Sounds like decompensated CHF. The heart rate isn't crazy so I doubt you will get much better without going for inotropes. But then again if she is a DNR how much does the family actually want?

Yeah not sure why the doc though she did. Maybe because of her awful lung sounds... Idk. Thanks though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm not going here. Or there. Whatever. Good one if you saved the pt incorrect treatment.

A good case of why one should not be not taking "informal verbal orders".