Coroner’s office to first responders: Throw away your latex gloves

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
MARTINS FERRY, Ohio — As the use of synthetic opioids and number of subsequent overdoses continues to rise, an Ohio county coroner's office is sending a warning to all fire, EMS, and law enforcement agencies: Throw away your latex gloves.

It's suspected that latex gloves may allow absorption into your tissue, turning the rescuer into the victim.

Read more!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Who still uses latex gloves?
We have some fire departments who use them. During my medic internship my preceptor preferred to wear latex.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
On a side note, I discovered that the FDA banned powdered gloves outright at the start of the year. Just in case there are services that preferred powdered gloves, they wanted them off the shelves asap. It appears that the risk of inhaling the powder is considered very high. Not sure how many manufacturers still make the powdered gloves, but we still have them up here in Canada.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We switched over to nitrile, but i think our boxes of small gloves are still latex because we haven't used up our supply (the one person with tiny hands hasn't used them all up yet).

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Were mostly using nitrile now, and whatever the gloves are that look like latex (a few people have reactions to nitrime).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk