Cop "saves" an infant with "CPR"

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Is anyone else bothered by this kind of stuff?

So an officer shows up to "save the day" for what I imagine was a report of a pedi code or something (probably just a febrile seizure, but good for him for caring enough to show up). News reports that he resuscitated the infant with CPR, but even he says (and the video shows) that he was just stimulating her by tapping on her chest and blowing on her face.

So... he did nothing, really. He showed up. The baby was fine either way. :rolleyes:

Yet the media insists on saying that he save the child by doing CPR. Facepalm.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Good publicity is nothing to diminish. If the media decides to grace this police department with some good PR, it looks good for all of us. Just like 90% of "saves" in newspapers it was likely nothing. As long as the cop isn't lying about anything, I'm glad to see it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
APD needs all the good PR it can get

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As much as I want to see accurate portrayals of EMS in the media, I will take any and all positive portrayals.

I know this is about a PD officer, however it's worth noting that EMS absolutely needs to get with the times and have a positive PR presence. Now more than ever with declining reimbursements and the like is it more important to have the support of the citizens we serve. While we may know we provide a valuable service, the public also needs to be reminded of that.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Reminds me of a time last year where we arrived on the scene of a code where an elderly male had collapsed in his driveway, witnessed by family. We arrived to an off-duty officer doing sloppy slow compressions and thought for a second - this may be legit. As I approach with my equipment and am placing the pads I hear grunting, tell the officer to stop, check carotid... strong pulse, pads on=NSR.... Droop, hemiplegia, non-verbal. The gentleman was having a stroke, and he was not dead nor was he ever apneic. I did end up tubing the guy en route though. Turns out it was a massive bleed; unknown if the pt made it or not. About two weeks later the supervisor gets a call from the police department, asking for the story and explaining that they were going to be giving that officer a "Life-Saver" award. The supervisor explained that actually the patient was not dead, not in need of chest compressions, grunting with a good heart rate, and the officer acted incorrectly potentially even harming the patient. The cop on the other end of the line said... "Yeah, well... We're just going to leave that part out and award him anyways. Action was needed and he was there and acted bravely. Thank you for your support."

!FACEPALM!.... How about some BLS training? Award him with that!

Where's my life saver award for saving the patient from the hero!?

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Reminds me of a time last year where we arrived on the scene of a code where an elderly male had collapsed in his driveway, witnessed by family. We arrived to an off-duty officer doing sloppy slow compressions and thought for a second - this may be legit. As I approach with my equipment and am placing the pads I hear grunting, tell the officer to stop, check carotid... strong pulse, pads on=NSR.... Droop, hemiplegia, non-verbal. The gentleman was having a stroke, and he was not dead nor was he ever apneic. I did end up tubing the guy en route though. Turns out it was a massive bleed; unknown if the pt made it or not. About two weeks later the supervisor gets a call from the police department, asking for the story and explaining that they were going to be giving that officer a "Life-Saver" award. The supervisor explained that actually the patient was not dead, not in need of chest compressions, grunting with a good heart rate, and the officer acted incorrectly potentially even harming the patient. The cop on the other end of the line said... "Yeah, well... We're just going to leave that part out and award him anyways. Action was needed and he was there and acted bravely. Thank you for your support."

!FACEPALM!.... How about some BLS training? Award him with that!

Where's my life saver award for saving the patient from the hero!?

Heartsaver CPR dawg. No pulse check, just straight to compression in the presence of collapse after a check for responsiveness and breathing.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Maybe for a Joe Schmoe

This was a cop

(I do detect your sarcasm though)

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
My favorite "save" was a mid 40s male collapsed at the gym. Bystanders started cpr and applied the facilities AED. It detected V fib and shocked him 3 times.
He was having a seizure...
Baby was moving the whole time. But good for them if they wanna have their moment.