Considering hanging it up

MattB1557

Forum Ride Along
I've been a Medic for almost 10 years. Here in Ohio, pay is not great for ems. After starting a family I've started looking to see how I could make somewhat of a decent living. I stumbled upon an opportunity that has nothing to do with EMS or anything related. Its pretty decent pay, benefits, advancement opportunity, if I wasn't a medic it would be a no brainer. Just wondering if anyone here has made the move to a "normal" job. How did it work out? Did you regret it or end up going back? I think we can all agree that there's more to ems than just a job, and it grabs a hold of alot of people in a way we can't understand. I'm kinda worried that I've been at it for too long to where I can't function the way normal people do at normal occupations. Any insight could help thanks everyone.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I've moved back and forth between part-time and full-time EMS over the past 25 years (before that I was in the corporate world). I've missed EMS when I haven't been doing it, but I didn't think it would be healthy to have only one way to earn a living. If you're tired of EMS and you have something else you can do that will pay you what you need, try it. Meanwhile, keep your certification current so you can go back without too much trouble, if that's what you decide to do.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Why can't you switch and hold a part time deal? The places I've worked have all had a 2 shift a month requirement. Not bad considering that's just 24 hours. Let's you provide for family, but still stay involved.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If this is no longer working for you, its time to go. If you are able to, and choose to stay on in a per diem, part time, or volunteer capacity, so much the better; but you have to meet your obligations. If this career is no longer getting it done for you, and you have an opportunity that seems as if it will, then it sounds like the decision is done.

Ive never really left EMS completely, but I have made something else my primary job. I always end up back on the box. My only piece of advice for you is keep your card current until you're absolutely, 100%, no doubt in your mind done with being a medic. You put the time in to get here, so you know what it will be like to do it again. Ive known several people over the years who left to go do something else and ended up back here when times go tough, with varying degrees of work necessary to reactivate their certs. So keep up with your con ed, keep your card valid and go dip a toe in water ever pond has your interest piqued. Maybe it works out for you and in ten years you laugh at the 3am belly pains that used to ruin your slumber; and maybe this time next year sees you back on the box at 3am. Only time will tell....