Connecticut EMS

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I am just looking for some information on the EMS system in Connecticut. I will be moving to Connecticut from New Jersey over the some. I have already looked into reciprocity, but I just want to get familiar with the system that is used.

For example, in New Jersey, primary EMS response is handled by BLS (EMT/EMT) with a chase ALS (P/P) if needed. Does Connecticut run a similar system? Do they run both ALS and BLS ambulances? Is there an intermediate level? Is there an ambulance of volunteer organizations?

I was also looking to see how scope of practice differs from state to state. Any feedback is appreciated.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Where in Connecticut are you moving?

Some areas of Connecticut use a sprint vehicle for paramedics, others use paramedics on an ambulance and some systems use a mix of both.

OP
OP
ZombieEMT

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Have not decided yet. My wife is from Connecticut and wants to move back over the summer.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Connecticut has a strange mix of EMS, it's very different from region to region. Once you decide where you're going to move, ask again and we may be able to provide some better answers.

I'm guessing you're an EMT? Some regions use intermediates, others don't. A lot of eastern Connecticut uses paramedic chase vehicles. Lawrence and Memorial Hospital in New London, Windham Hospital in Willimantic, Middlesex hospital and American Ambulance in Norwich are just a few of the paramedic ALS intercept services.

You'll also find volunteer services, a mix of paid companies, some fire EMS and I bet if you looked up in Litchfield County, you might even find EMS that responds with a horse and buggy. I'm kidding… Sort of.

I haven't worked in Connecticut EMS in well over 20 years, but every time I go home to visit I find that something else has changed.

Last edited:

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Hello from Connecticut!

There's a good mix of ALS and BLS here. Many commercial companies run a mix of ALS cars and BLS cars, with fly medics (chase medics?) available on an as-need basis. Many places also have a BLS service, and the local fire department has an intercept medic. Volunteer services also tend to have a staffed fly medic at their disposal.

As for the AEMT/EMT-I cert, many players are beginning to lean away from it, as CT is on the verge of getting rid of the cert all together. Current AEMTs are being grandfathered in. A lot of commercial companies aren't recognizing the certification, and have their AEMTs work at an EMT level.