Conflicting answers in my EMT book

DM1995

Forum Probie
In my EMT book Emergency care and transportation for the sick and injured 10th edition it says in the chapter on psychiatric emergencies that a minimum of 4 people are needed to restrain someone however much later in chapter 35 which discusses stretchers and various methods of lifting it says 5 people. I just want someone to clear this up for me so I know what the correct answer is. Is there a reason one is 4 and the other 5 as in different type of scenario? sorry if this is in the wrong place, I didn't know where else to post it. For those of you with this book the first time its mentioned is on page 713 (says 4 people) and lastly page 1321 (says 5 people)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Ask your instructor what they are looking for for testing purposes. Practically it matters very little- you use how many people you have and request for help if you think you need more.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
We were trained with five people needed: one on each limb, and one at the head. If one of those places isn’t restrained, the patient has some ability to cause harm. Then you also need the person (medic, aic, cop) who is going to do whatever treatment is needed (meds, cravats ties, handcuffs, etc…).

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
5 people? There's usually not enough room in those cramped stairways and we never get that much help to readily.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
On scene with fire we might have the luxury of 5 people to restrain one patient....but if it takes 5 people to actually hold them down, they're gonna need chemical restraints...the one time I've been on a call where it was that bad, PD already had the guy pinned.

If a pt get squirrelly in the back and needs restrained enroute, well then it's just me (if possibly the medic as well if it's ALS) and in a confined space I can't just wait for my partner to find a spot to pull over, stop, get out, get in the back before being able to help, so as others have said it all depends on the situation, how many people are present what type of restraints used (9 times out of 10 if I have a patient that is restrained, they're restrained by handcuffs because they are in custody and it only takes one deputy in back with me to deal with those)

OP
OP
D

DM1995

Forum Probie
Thanks for the help. Main reason I was asking is that I am studying for the NREMT. As many of you stated 5 seems to be the most reasonable and my book does say that on page 1321 for restraining a combative patient. One on each limb and the head. now on page 713 it says 4 if they are having a "Behavioral crisis or other psychiatric emergency" and since a behavioral crisis can involve violent behavior this just really confused me.