Complications of hyperventilation

Brandon Cahill

Forum Ride Along
I have a airway fisdap test Friday, first off I am freaking out about this test because i really hate fisdap, but our instructor gave us a study guide on some of the subjects that are mostly likely going to be on the test, and i am confused about this one complications of hyperventilation some reason, so i am putting a feeler out there on what are come complications on it? thanks in advance

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What do you think could happen if you breath way to fast for a patient? Is there other places air can go aside from the lungs? What could happen to a patients LV preload if we hyperinflate the patients lungs? What could happen to this patients EtCO2/PH level if we hyperventilate a patient (if your a medic)?

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Just to hint a little more on what DesertMedic was saying, if someone is being hyperinflated what do you expect the vital signs to be in regard to the added air? Why would overexpanding the lungs cause this?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Brandon, I see you're an EMT, so I'm guessing the complication of hyperventilation you'd most likely be expected to know would be carpopedal spasm due to hypocarbia (low CO2). You may also have been taught about decreased cerebral perfusion due to vasoconstriction caused by hyperventilation. That's not to discredit what anyone else has said about paramedic-level concerns.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a airway fisdap test Friday, first off I am freaking out about this test because i really hate fisdap, but our instructor gave us a study guide on some of the subjects that are mostly likely going to be on the test, and i am confused about this one complications of hyperventilation some reason, so i am putting a feeler out there on what are come complications on it? thanks in advance

OK…..which "one" complication of hyperventilation has you perplexed?