1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat-tested abdominal/junctional tourniquet proven equivalent to REBOA

Discussion in 'ALS Discussion' started by LACoGurneyjockey, Oct 11, 2018.

1. LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
  2. VFlutter

VFlutter Flight Nurse

Education:
    EMT
    Junctional tourniquets are awesome and extremely beneficial. Having said that, the article is biased and written by someone with a vested interest in the product. Outcomes may be similar due to general mechanism however it is not equivalent to a REBOA. Junctional TQs have practical advantages over REBOA and are definitely more usable on broader scale. But even some SF unit medics are starting to place REBOA .

michael150 and TXmed like this.
  3. Summit

Summit Critical Crazy

Links to two studies

4. NPO

NPO Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    That's neat, but that article seems more like a paid placement than true journalism.

I've never used the device in question, but how is it different than a SAM junctional tourniquet?

Not doubting, just playing devil's advocate. We have Sam Pelvic slings and the Sam Junctional tourniquet is not much more than a Sam Pelvic slings with an inflatable bladder attached.

5. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    They're on my list of things I wish we had. I've seen two junctional injuries, one which died, that would have benefitted from this.

I'd be curious to see the comparison to SAM as well.