Color blind and conditional offer

terrible one

Always wandering
I have a conditional offer for a FD dependent on a medical exam. I know they use the isaharia exam which I can't pass. I have talked to my own eye doctor and referenced the latest NFPA 1582 medical disqualifications which have recently removed color deficiency from the category B list. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a second opinion for a medical exam and still receive a job and the steps you took?
I'll also post this on a fire board.

Thanks for your replies

Reference NFPA 1582

http://www.cortland-co.org/ccfire/NFPA 1582.pdf

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Total? Red green? Blue yellow?

Good luck man. It doesn't seem like something that would be a huge deal...but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
terrible one

terrible one

Always wandering
According to the dr I'm moderate red/green defiecient. And the latest on the NFPA was as long as you do not monochromatic vision (black and white) then you're fine. However, I know a lot of departments say 'normal color vision' which for the life of me I can't understand the need to decipher colors on a fire department. I've worked as a reserve for over 3 years and have never needed to tell exactly a color of something (other than dark smoke or light).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yea I really don't know either but I know I've seen that on a lot of job listings.

That's like the military saying normal color vision. My old roommate was red green blind and he could snipe movement when we were hunting wayyyyyyy before anyone else could.

Not sure why the military wouldn't want someone that could see movement and "through" camouflage.

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
Yea I really don't know either but I know I've seen that on a lot of job listings.

That's like the military saying normal color vision. My old roommate was red green blind and he could snipe movement when we were hunting wayyyyyyy before anyone else could.

Not sure why the military wouldn't want someone that could see movement and "through" camouflage.

Colored smoke, Blood at night, chem paper are just a few things that pop up in my mind real quick for military service.

I don't think its that much of an issue in the "real" world though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hazmat placards at night.