College student EMT looking for Paramedic school

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I have a question for you guys. I have been an EMT since 1998 and maintained my EMS skills. I am graduating college in May with a Bachelors degree in History and Social Science with a double Minor in Asian Studies and Public Health. I'm looking at going to Paramedic school and what's the best paramedic school in America and the kind of paramedic I am looking at working is Hospital based EMS. I'm also looking at getting my MPH on top of my Paramedic as well.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Then probably a paramedic school run by a teaching hospital that has its own EMS.....

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I'm looking at getting my Paramedic and then my MPH in community health or Epidemiology.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Here's my thinking, I was thinking of getting an MPH in community health Or epidemiology and having a Paramedic license as a way of working in the community and combining the skills of Paramedic and Masters in Public Health.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Skip paramedic and concentrate on getting your MPH. You can do more with that degree and it doesn't do much to have and work as a paramedic.
Question, if you have an EMS background as an EMT. Would be good idea to go into MPH?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Can't hurt, plenty of people get an MPH who have medical backgrounds. I've known a few nurses who have one. Also having a MPH may help a little with some of the social work type stuff that you may run across as a paramedic, but in reality you would be telling the patient to talk with an actual social worker who could set them up with the resources that they need

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Can't hurt, plenty of people get an MPH who have medical backgrounds. I've known a few nurses who have one. Also having a MPH may help a little with some of the social work type stuff that you may run across as a paramedic, but in reality you would be telling the patient to talk with an actual social worker who could set them up with the resources that they need
That's what I was thinking and I was thinking of getting a Paramedic degree and an MPH as well and work in community health or epidemiology and respond to disease outbreaks.