code on the freeway (sd)

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Driving code on the freeway in San Diego.

so I have a quick question about the laws of driving code. I've been told that you aren't alowed to drive code on the freeway unless trafic is < 15mph, then you can use the shoulder and run code 3.

I read the vehical code though, on the CA DMV website and as confusing as it is , it doesn't say anything about restricting an emergency vehicle on the freeway. So does anyone have not only an answer, but a reference to a chp dmv or sd county ems publication that I can read?

I only ask because I had a call the other day with a woman that had a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage and was being Tx to a trauma center wich was a little over 30 miles away, (the closer one was on trauma bypass) and our CCT nurse told me she would like us to go code the whole way. Trafic was over 15 closer to 40 or so, but hitting the fast lane with the lights made the trip way quicker, so I did it.

Long story short I can't find any regulation about it being restricted in the vehicle code. So let me know if you know where it's not alowed. thanks guys.

adam

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've only run RLS on the freeway in Michigan, so I can't really offer too much advice on your situation.

I don't understand:

I've been told that you aren't alowed to drive code on the freeway unless trafic is < 15mph, then you can use the shoulder and run code 3.

So you're only allowed to code when traffic is nearly stopped? What is Code 3? Lights? Siren? Both?

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
so glad im not in CA. I run lights NO MATTER WHAT. Siren gets used for red lights and people who just arent paying attention and air horn if its really a serious emergency. They are off on the way back from the hospital. But to the scene, transport, and to the hospital they are on. if thats what your talking about. i really cant say i understand what your talking about when driving "code". do you mean you have a code blue patient in the back ? im a bit lost.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Driving code on the freeway in San Diego.

so I have a quick question about the laws of driving code. I've been told that you aren't allowed to drive code on the freeway unless traffic is < 15mph, then you can use the shoulder and run code 3.

I read the vehicle code though, on the CA DMV website and as confusing as it is , it doesn't say anything about restricting an emergency vehicle on the freeway. So does anyone have not only an answer, but a reference to a chp dmv or sd county ems publication that I can read?

I only ask because I had a call the other day with a woman that had a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage and was being Tx to a trauma center wich was a little over 30 miles away, (the closer one was on trauma bypass) and our CCT nurse told me she would like us to go code the whole way. Trafic was over 15 closer to 40 or so, but hitting the fast lane with the lights made the trip way quicker, so I did it.

Long story short I can't find any regulation about it being restricted in the vehicle code. So let me know if you know where it's not alowed. thanks guys.

adam
so glad im not in CA. I run lights NO MATTER WHAT. Siren gets used for red lights and people who just arent paying attention and air horn if its really a serious emergency. They are off on the way back from the hospital. But to the scene, transport, and to the hospital they are on. if thats what your talking about. i really cant say i understand what your talking about when driving "code". do you mean you have a code blue patient in the back ? im a bit lost.

Okay I am thouroghly confused with both statements.

I too don't know what a Code is ?.. Code 3 Code 1 "Hot"..Whatever you call it in your area basically lights and sirens. One should have been thorough an emergency vehicle operators course way before operating an emergency vehicle and as well be abreast of legal statutes. They vary very dramatically. I read where Salt Lake City does not ever respond emergency at all. To and from. Studies have shown it is unsafe and does NOT save time. Again, all relevant to where you are. Our state law basically is you can drive as fast as one wants to but... if you have an accident it is automatically the EVO fault. .." the EVO shall be in control of the vehicle at all times, and shall not endanger persons, property or life"..

Personally I use the brain.... if it is 0300 on the interstate/freeway and there is no traffic... please turn off that damn siren. If we are in a potential traffic area, you bet you better have it on if we are responding emergency.

Far as running back "hot" to the hospital.. very, very few times we ever run back. In fact most are not even running back with L/S with an arrest. Usually it is something that needs quick evaluation (CVA) an AMI that needs to be cathed, or some time element situation. Other wise drive me nice and s-m-o-o-t-h.

R/r 911

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
There is no restriction on where an emergency vehicle can run code-3 (lights and sirens) as long as they are operating within the law. In CA, that means that you have at least one solid forward facing red light and sound a siren "as resonably necessary". As long as you have that going on, you are exempt from the vehicle code no matter where you are.

But I think the reasoning is that if the freeway is moving at 80, you have no reason to run code since it won't get you anywhere any faster. Also, you would have to run in the far left lane since you have to pass vehicles on the left while going code-3 (even though I see so many private ambulance companies disregard this little common sense policy).

But it sounds like you used it properly.

OP
OP
sdadam

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
ok sorry for being ambiguous about what I'm asking, I often forget that EMS regulations and slang often vary greatly from area to area.

In San Diego we respond one of three "codes" to a call; code-1 is bls normal driving to and during transport, no lights no sirens (usualy a Tx from hosp to hosp); code-2 is respond asap but no lights and sirens (usualy a moderate case, maybe a Tx from urgent care to emergency department); and code-3 respond emediately, lights and sirens (911 call).

I work for AMR and during our EVOC course we are told that we may not drive code-3 on freeways unless trafic is less than 15 mph. otherwise regardless of pt. status we shut off lights and sirens and drive with the flow of trafic.

The theory being that if trafic is moving you are going to either a) if there are alot of cars on the road, actualy cause more trafic with people trying to get out of your way, or b) with few cars on the road be able to respond at the same speed you would with lights and sirens, therefore they are unnecisary.

We were led to belive that this is an emergency vehicle regulation for code-3 driving in San Diego, but I have been unable to find such a regulation in the vehicle code.

I have broken this rule when I felt it was prudent for pt care, and did so with due-regard to other drivers, while staying in the left most lane. I'm trying to fnid out if I am breaknig company policy, or I am breaking the law.

hope that clears things up.

and I unfortunatly am looking for official documentation one way or the other, vehicle code references, chp regulations, anything. It's not that I don't respect or belive all of you, but I can't put up an argument based on what "some guys on the internet said". ;-)

adam

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
dosent matter here. lights and sirens whenever you please. See but we are not arseholes about it. we are a volly town squad and when we are called its usually a lights and sirens deal.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
I work for AMR and during our EVOC course we are told that we may not drive code-3 on freeways unless trafic is less than 15 mph. otherwise regardless of pt. status we shut off lights and sirens and drive with the flow of trafic.

We were led to belive that this is an emergency vehicle regulation for code-3 driving in San Diego, but I have been unable to find such a regulation in the vehicle code.

If you mean that there is a specific San Diego municipal code, you won't find it in the vehicle code (since that is statewide)

As for the vehicle code, here it is:

21055. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle is exempt from
Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 21350), Chapter 3 (commencing
with Section 21650), Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 21800),
Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 21950), Chapter 6 (commencing with
22100), Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 22348), Chapter 8
(commencing with Section 22450), Chapter 9 (commencing with Section
22500), and Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650) of this
division, and Article 3 (commencing with Section 38305) and Article 4
(commencing with Section 38312) of Chapter 5 of Division 16.5, under
all of the following conditions:
(a) If the vehicle is being driven in response to an emergency
call or while engaged in rescue operations or is being used in the
immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or is
responding to, but not returning from, a fire alarm, except that
fire department vehicles are exempt whether directly responding to an
emergency call or operated from one place to another as rendered
desirable or necessary by reason of an emergency call and operated to
the scene of the emergency or operated from one fire station to
another or to some other location by reason of the emergency call.
(b) If the driver of the vehicle sounds a siren as may be
reasonably necessary and the vehicle displays a lighted red lamp
visible from the front as a warning to other drivers and pedestrians.

A siren shall not be sounded by an authorized emergency vehicle
except when required under this section.

Basically it says that you are exempt from the above noted sections of the vehicle code if you sound a siren as reasonably necessary and have one solid red light and you are acting in the official carrying out of your duties. Thats all you need.

AMR might have a company regulation against it, but nothing legally prevents you from going code-3 on the freeway.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The problem is that the California Highway Patrol has put out a recommendation that ambulances should avoid going code 3 on the freeway. I think it's mainly because it causes chaos. Some companies have regulations on it, such as not usings your lights/sirens ever on freeway, unless you're responding to a freeway accident AND you have a visual on the accident/emergency OR if FD is ahead of you and they do it first.

I think it's basically trying to make CHP, county, EMS agency, etc happy (since they want to keep their contracts). As far as legally, you're free to go code 3 on the freeway.

In our company, if you get on the freeway and it's backed up, "you shouldn't have taken the freeway". Get off and take city streets (which is probably more dangerous in SoCal...having to oppose traffic and all).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I can see why CHP "suggests" that EMS shouldn't be running hot on freeways. Around here, I've been PASSED in an Ambulance running "hot." I think 15 mph seems to be VERY slow... even the worst rigs I've had drive much faster than that ;)

I know AMR's national policy manual says that you shouldn't run "hot" on a limited access highway if traffic is moving at a reasonable pace. I've heard that california freeways have bad traffic, but 40 MPH seems slow... Around here, if we had a CCT run, and traffic was moving that slowly, the RN would probably ask for it too.

In PA, during transport, the descision to transport emergently falls on the "highest level provider" treating the patient.

As for running hot for 911 calls... my service (BLS half of a 2-tier system) has a strict policy on emergency warning devices. We respond emergently on EVERY call, BLS or ALS except for the following BLS nature calls: DOA's, Public Assist for Lifting, Medical Alert Alarms (with no confirmed patient) and EDP's. For transports, our transport time is almost always 5-10 minutes without lights. We are not supposed to use lights unless it is an ALS nature call and ALS requests it... except if we are BLS and running something to the ED rather than call for an ALS intercept. With short transport times, the vast majority of our patient transports are not lengthended significantly by the slower transport, and it lowers the risks to the patient and providers of a vehicle collision.