Clinicals

emt608920

Forum Ride Along
About to start clinicals (EMTB), what is YOUR best advice? Also how do you prepare yourself for the "Gore" on the field?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Ask questions.

Be proactive.

If you stand back, they likely won't force you to learn.

If you don't know how to do something, ask them to walk you through it.

On your off time, familiarize yourself with the ambulance and equipment, or read up on runs you've made/study.

Ask questions.

Be proactive.

Don't be a toolbag.

Edit to add: If they ask you if you have questions or if there is something you need to work on, you had damn well better not say "No" or "I'm good". You're brand new- your depth of knowledge right now is the equivalent of you sticking your toe in the ocean. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
About to start clinicals (EMTB), what is YOUR best advice? Also how do you prepare yourself for the "Gore" on the field?

Have a talk with your preceptor. Find out expectations on both sides.

Don't be a toolbag

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Ask questions.

Be proactive.

If you stand back, they likely won't force you to learn.

If you don't know how to do something, ask them to walk you through it.

On your off time, familiarize yourself with the ambulance and equipment, or read up on runs you've made/study.

Ask questions.

Be proactive.

Don't be a toolbag.

Edit to add: If they ask you if you have questions or if there is something you need to work on, you had damn well better not say "No" or "I'm good". You're brand new- your depth of knowledge right now is the equivalent of you sticking your toe in the ocean. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

This...

I get a ton of new EMTs and those finishing school due to the fact that my squad is probably the busiest in the area. I tell them you either make or break your rotation. If you show up unprepared and slouch on the sofa in the crew room all day. And aren't proactive we'll leave you there. If you want to sit in the corner we'll leave you there. But when you fail your course for failing to meet the requirements its on you.

If your the kind that wants to learn and is willing to ask questions, admit your weaknesses and work to improve them. Want to assist with day to day operations want to know whats in the truck and where its at. Want to get involved in pt. assessment and are. Your going to do fine.

Best advice, show up 15 minutes early. Introduce yourself and where your from

"Hi I am unleashedfury, I am a EMT student from EMTLIFE EMT school I am scheduled for clinical here today" Offer to shake hands, Most preceptors will say Hi, and lead you in the right direction you get your assignment.

Bring pens minimum 2. You always lose pens. A small notepad to assist in taking notes, a good attitude and a open mind.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ee3xemyQjI[/YOUTUBE]

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
hey hey,, I spike my hair the ladies seem to love it.

OTOH, the sunglasses and bandanna I do pass on.

I used to spike my hair. Now I do the military cut. I'm guilty on the sunglasses tho

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm lazy. I just wear a hat. Nearly all the time....