clinical

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
So I thought I would be a good little student and do some extra clinical time yesterday. Went in at 8 am and was supposed to be off at 9 pm. Well yeah right is all I have to say-we ended up transferring a pt to a bigger hospital around 730 or so. We get back to town around 930 and go in service and it was like BAM-attack on EMS.

Three units available in our town-one was out on an mvc the other on an mvc rollover and we get another mvc-ours was pretty bad-one vehicle vs. embankment vs. rock creekbed wall-:eek: :blink: deformed right and left wrists-crepitation in the pelvis-open right femur fracture-and paradoxical motion in the chest-DAAAANG-worst I have ever seen- Needless to say We flew that patient to a bigger hospital and are in service and en route back to the station when *beep*Beep*beep* off goes the tones and we get a guy with a headache and chest pain and he refuses-same deal with the last call-in service and en route back to the station and dang if the tones don't drop again-needless to say I didn't get done until about four am-we're not supposed to stay past ten unless we are caught out on a truck running a call-we ended up getting one more mvc, one headache-same patient from previous headache/chest pain (we take him this time), and a drunk person who got in a fight and had a two inch laceration on his forehead and was alert and oriented times 2-he ended up coming around after being somewhat combative and asking me and the female medic I was riding with to marry him-LOL-I had to laugh at that one-anyway busy "shift" for me.

Have a good week all

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Welcome to the world of EMS! :)

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
I love it!!!!! Everyone that I know keeps asking me why I wanted to go into EMS and I really don't have any special answer-just that I like to help people. I eventually want to be a flight medic but that is a ways down the road.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Such is life, at least in EMS.

But... the "good" calls are great to see as a student - if you don't start seeing the bad stuff until you become a primary provider - then you have lots of "oh, crap" moments.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I loved clinicals. I did my ride alongs with AMR and he ran a good 14 calls in a 12 hour shift. I saw tons of cool crap. Now that I'm working in EMS, we call 6 calls in a 12 hour shift a busy shift.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
So I just found out that I passed my written test. Now I have to apply for my Missouri license and get a job-hopefully finding a job will not be too hard.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Congratulations!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

We're desperate for employees here if you have a hard time there! ;)

emtb1981

Forum Ride Along
lucky

you are lucky in that night, like someone said you need to get that in while in class not when you are in charge. the community i live in my biggest day of ride time was a possible heart attack (turned out to be overdose) a woman with back pain and a OB that refused after we got there. I just hope when I get to work FINALLY I will get alot of experience quick. Planning on going right into medic school in Aug. I can't wait, I haVE wanted this my whole like and have put it off for the past 6 years for my daughter. I should be getting my results any day and i am about to go crazy in the mean time.!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Medic school right away huh? My recommendation, and I know others feel the same way, would be to work as a basic for a few years, that way when you go into medic school you'll have a little bit of experience under your belt.

Either way, welcome to EMTLife emtb1981. We hope you stick around and post often.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Wingnut said:
:) :) :) Congratulations!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

We're desperate for employees here if you have a hard time there! ;)

O RLY?

Hrm. need any part-timers? ;-)

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Chimpie said:
Medic school right away huh? My recommendation, and I know others feel the same way, would be to work as a basic for a few years, that way when you go into medic school you'll have a little bit of experience under your belt.

Either way, welcome to EMTLife emtb1981. We hope you stick around and post often.

I agree 110% with the Chimpster on this one.

emtb1981

Forum Ride Along
I know I planned on waiting too. But where I live the closest classes are about 75 miles away and they are starting one in my town in aug. and it is about 2000 cheaper than anywhere else around here. I feel like if I work really hard at it, and try my best I will be ok. I just want to hurry up and get to work so i can get the time under my belt. I am really excited to finally be where I want to be in Life :)

Chimpie said: