City Trauma Care

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Tampons are for vaginas only and do not work for wounds. They are made to absorb blood really which does not help trauma patients.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
There are also a lot of chemicals meant to prevent odors, which should not be placed in wounds.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Tampons absorb blood. They don't apply any meaningful pressure or anything to actually stop bleeding. They are not trauma devices.

OP
OP
Phillyrube

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
:DKids today. I started in this business when we had no quik clot,afaik, helicopters, and got alerted by a siren on the pole.

Not ideal, sure, but when you got nothing else. Besides, that's what antibiotics are for.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
:DKids today. I started in this business when we had no quik clot,afaik, helicopters, and got alerted by a siren on the pole.

Not ideal, sure, but when you got nothing else. Besides, that's what antibiotics are for.

That's antiquated thinking. Hopefully you're not still practicing.

OP
OP
Phillyrube

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
Sure it's antiquated. So are Mast pants, rotating tourniquets, 3/4 boots and all the bicarb we used to dump in CA patients
But, if it's all you got.....

Forgot air splints.....
Heheheh:eek:

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Rolled gauze has been around for a long time too...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard of combat medics in Iraq using tampons like this early in the war, but that was before quick clot was a thing.

OP
OP
Phillyrube

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
So you had tampons but not direct pressure?

"Ahh the good old days when most people died"
What a maroon.......oh yeah, I used to pull steering wheels with a porta power, and the first IV s, we had to stick our arm out the window to get the BOTTLE high enough to flow

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
IMG_2597.JPG

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
To address the question of how to deal with uncontrolled bleeding. This should really be in it's own thread.
But, you the trained medic has ascertained an A bleed. Extremity, as required. Torso, I refer to where I got that name.
For the lay person, whatever works. Just don't stick your finger in the hole unless you want to become an integral part of the patient, have the nurses gown and mask you, and you want to have an up close and personal view of a trauma surgery.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
To address the question of how to deal with uncontrolled bleeding. This should really be in it's own thread.
But, you the trained medic has ascertained an A bleed. Extremity, as required. Torso, I refer to where I got that name.
For the lay person, whatever works. Just don't stick your finger in the hole unless you want to become an integral part of the patient, have the nurses gown and mask you, and you want to have an up close and personal view of a trauma surgery.
I’m sorry my brain now hurts after reading this. I don’t know a single medic who would have a lay person continue to stick their finger in a wound to stop the bleeding. As a last resort I’d apply direct pressure but that would be after all other options fail.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’m sorry my brain now hurts after reading this. I don’t know a single medic who would have a lay person continue to stick their finger in a wound to stop the bleeding. As a last resort I’d apply direct pressure but that would be after all other options fail.

Little Dutch Boy scenario?