Check this out

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I get a 404 error code...

Epi-do

I see dead people
Wow! Good for the news for finally doing a story that points out one of the many problems with the system. It is so common everywhere around here too. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever change, or at the very least, not any time soon.

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Wow...that is just incredible.:wacko:

Gotta love the nurses in that video though, they sure do tell it like it is.:)

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, as long as the EMS Commissioner feels that his system needs to do more than "just the cardiac arrests", then no, it won't change. Thumbs up for cities like Akron that can educate and then decline transport. This is exactly what we need more of.........

Personally, I educate my patients about what their immediate future will be like if they use EMS as a taxi. I tell them they WILL go straight to the waiting room where they will receive a medical screening exam. Pending the outcome of that exam, they will either be told to wait to be seen, or told to go to a PCP. Either way, I have no hesitation to tell a patient that they are wrong when they have the belief they will be seen quicker for their trivial complaint. I can see in time the day that we start doing screening exams in the field nationwide. I hear more and more agencies doing it every day........................

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I SWEAR I've seen this before, on here... but I can't find it. I have to agree with some of what the commish says... EMS does need to do more than just shootings and codes... but we also need to be able to draw the line SOMEWHERE. As they said... all these patients found a way home.

I also disagree with the inclusion of "heartburn" with the other "non-urgent" complaints. Heartburn=chest pain, to a degree.. therefore it is cardiac until proven otherwise.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It should be a crime to call the ambulance for a cold or "wax" in the ear.

OP
OP
Pittsburgh Proud

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I SWEAR I've seen this before, on here... but I can't find it. I have to agree with some of what the commish says... EMS does need to do more than just shootings and codes... but we also need to be able to draw the line SOMEWHERE. As they said... all these patients found a way home.

I also disagree with the inclusion of "heartburn" with the other "non-urgent" complaints. Heartburn=chest pain, to a degree.. therefore it is cardiac until proven otherwise.

It could very well have been posted before, I was shown this a few months ago but It finally made it back around again.

We do need a line but how do we determine where or what the line should be?
B)

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
It should be a crime to call the ambulance for a cold or "wax" in the ear.

It sounds like the commissioner is making a priority to treat everyone, no matter what malady, right or wrong. I also wonder if to some extent, it isn't to fend off potential lawsuits, at least in other areas. All it takes is one person whom you denied care, to have a family that sues should they die. You could imagine the headlines that such a situation would create. You can also picture a good lawyer creating a scene right out of La Miserables to weepy and then outraged jurors. They in turn, will remember when they had to wait for medical service or who have experienced poor care in certain areas of the country. Nurse Ratchit was unable to find that vein the first fifteen times? Dr. Incompotent buried his mistake....otherwise known as your mother or father? Well here's the chance to stick the system! Stir all of that together and you get-cha-ching!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha. I love that lady who waited for 10 hours, went home, called and ambulance, and got dumped in the waiting room to wait another 6 hours.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is how accustomed people are becoming to instant gratification. They don't want to make a doctor's appt and wait a day or two to be seen. They want medical care NOW, even if it's 3 am and they have a hang nail.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful world if EMS only treated patients who actually needed EMERGENCY medical services, and if an honest health care provider never had to worry about lawsuits as long as they provided excellent care and did what was right?

And yeah, that commissioner apparently doesn't understand what EMS stands for. EMERGENCY medical services. Not "everything medical services". Yeah, he's right, it shouldn't just be about cardiac arrests, but it also definitely shouldn't be there for impacted earwax and erectile dysfunction. Sure, I think there are a few problems that are not life- or limb-threatening that warrant an ambulance. That doesn't mean EMS should take every single moron that calls 911 to the ED by ambulance.

Last edited by a moderator: