Changing Protocols From Within

nwhitney

Forum Captain
So there sure seem to be some big egos around here regarding many topics and the desire to be taken seriously and respected by the medical community. I'll keep my opinions on who to myself, :).

O2 admin, spinal injuries (boarding), how things work in the field compared to textbooks and following protocols come to mind.

So my question to you all... has anyone here tried and if so have you been successful in getting protocols changed within your agency? What was your experience? How did you go about it? Did you use research to back up your claim? Were you met with resistance?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When our protocols were up for review, I got on the committee to help review them. It was a good experience to work with the physicians and leaders in our area to help write the new protocols.

Also maddening because they didn't listen to my every recommendation, but well, I press on.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
So there sure seem to be some big egos around here regarding many topics and the desire to be taken seriously and respected by the medical community. I'll keep my opinions on who to myself, :).

O2 admin, spinal injuries (boarding), how things work in the field compared to textbooks and following protocols come to mind.

So my question to you all... has anyone here tried and if so have you been successful in getting protocols changed within your agency? What was your experience? How did you go about it? Did you use research to back up your claim? Were you met with resistance?

Protocol development was a large part of my job since I worked directly for my medical director and not technically for the service I worked with. His rule was if you (any provider working for him, he viewed us as more or less his employees regardless of who was signing your paycheck.) could prove it with sufficient research he was at least willing to try it on a trial basis. Sometimes it ended up with the more advanced skills reserved for the supervisors but it was not uncommon to have about dozen or more significant protocol revisions in the course of a year.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

My LEMSA MAC meets every 2 months for protocols review and changes. Our Medical Director is very receptive to changes if presented with evidence to support it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I outlasted everyone else in my department.

I gained the trust of a boss willing to listen, found out his take on stuff, researched it, documented it, then submitted it to him. He pushed it through the executive committee, who were not experienced nor actively practicing, so they would either dump these out of hand, or accept them without knowing what we submitted. Eventually a megalomaniacal mid-level supervisor decided she was going to write them all, so she did, and persuaded them to throw all the old ones out.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Protocol development was a large part of my job since I worked directly for my medical director and not technically for the service I worked with. His rule was if you (any provider working for him, he viewed us as more or less his employees regardless of who was signing your paycheck.) could prove it with sufficient research he was at least willing to try it on a trial basis. Sometimes it ended up with the more advanced skills reserved for the supervisors but it was not uncommon to have about dozen or more significant protocol revisions in the course of a year.

I had a similar experience to this at my job before grad school. Anyone who could bring forth legitimate and solid research had a leg to stand on with my medical director. And in cases where you did this but he won't change he would clearly explain his rational behind it.

Now I work for an absent medical director and a dinosaur FTO :wacko:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Absent medical control is becoming the norm.

At least one AED company features a medical controller in their lease agreement, someone with rubberstamss in Ocalaca FLA and reviews all your codes.

Veneficus

Forum Chief