Chance me: criminal history

GooMan

Forum Ride Along
Hi all. I'm sure this has been gone over a million times, and I apologize if so.

I have a 5 year old DUI. At one point in my life I abused alcohol frequently and had some fallout. Made some terrible decisions. I have about 6 months experience as an EMT from 2013.

I'm thinking about going back to EMS. What are my chances at this point?

Also, I know the field is big on integrity and moral character. Let me assure you, my personal growth since my DUI has been considerable; transformative in fact. I can prove it with numerous references. Since then, I have kicked the bottle and all mood altering substances, I have done a bunch of volunteer work, I give to charity, go to church (got baptized), and seek to uplift my community in every way possible. I am not the same person. Not even close. I would not be inquiring if I didn't truly believe in my strong moral character today.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Others with criminal histories have found jobs in EMS. Don't lie when you're answering interview or application questions, but don't feel that you have to answer questions that aren't asked.

You don't have to justify your plans to anyone here, but I do suggest you consider whether EMS contributed to your problems last time, and whether it's safe for you to re-enter an extremely stressful environment with many enabling factors.

OP
OP
G

GooMan

Forum Ride Along
Others with criminal histories have found jobs in EMS. Don't lie when you're answering interview or application questions, but don't feel that you have to answer questions that aren't asked.

You don't have to justify your plans to anyone here, but I do suggest you consider whether EMS contributed to your problems last time, and whether it's safe for you to re-enter an extremely stressful environment with many enabling factors.
Thank you.

Yes, I have considered that. I had an alcohol issue long before EMS. I work in a high stress environment right now, the mental health field, and I deal with mental health crisis regularmy. I have developed a very healthy way of coping. My self care is top notch. Self care is crucial to us in the helping professions. The stress of EMS certainly gave me an excuse to drink, but for the most part I was indulging in a problem that was already there.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
The longer you have between you and the DUI the better. And it is even better if you have regular car insurance and no sr-22 as that makes you easier to insure.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
Do you have your State ertification? What is your vert status?

If not, I think this would be a good starting point. To see if you are eligible for NREMT snd state cert.

Also. Got me thinking. Many people believe that alcoholism (i am not saying you are😊) is a morality issue. It is not. Alacholism is the loss of the power of choice. It is a illness of the mind, spirit, and body. However, on the case of morality..people to make decisions under the influence that they would not make in sober conditions.

Congratulations on turning your life around. It not easy changing what you have always done. The path is riddled with success and failure. I have found that my struggles in the past, and my progression through suffering, has enabled me to be a better provider and connect and communicate with certain patients on equal ground.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
Hi all. I'm sure this has been gone over a million times, and I apologize if so.

I have a 5 year old DUI. At one point in my life I abused alcohol frequently and had some fallout. Made some terrible decisions. I have about 6 months experience as an EMT from 2013.

I'm thinking about going back to EMS. What are my chances at this point?

Also, I know the field is big on integrity and moral character. Let me assure you, my personal growth since my DUI has been considerable; transformative in fact. I can prove it with numerous references. Since then, I have kicked the bottle and all mood altering substances, I have done a bunch of volunteer work, I give to charity, go to church (got baptized), and seek to uplift my community in every way possible. I am not the same person. Not even close. I would not be inquiring if I didn't truly believe in my strong moral character today.

Side note: i have read that , employment background checks only go back a certain amount of time. Texas, is 7 years. I think. At that point, you would only need to report it to the state with your certification process

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I would speak with an attorney about getting your record sealed or expunged. Contact your state board of EMS to find out the actual laws regarding employment and then just be honest on applications. Showing you have learned from a mistake can be a positive thing.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It depends on the state, and what you were convicted of. If you got a full on DUI, some companies can’t insure you for X number of years, and some states may have stricter requirements for certification.

If you plead to a lesser charge your chances are better, and you’ll have a much easier time. I know a whole lot of dudes who got DUIs and were/are still in EMS.