Central Florida Employment-EMT

Silfie

Forum Ride Along
So I'm a recent EMT grad, pursuing my Paramedic cert and A.S. in EMS. I've been applying constantly to every opening in the area(and a little outside the area) for EMT and Patient Care Tech. I can't even get an interview!!! Obviously, I lack experience but don't know where to begin to obtain some if nobody will give me a chance. I have a professional resume and good driving record.
Any advice? What am I NOT doing? I even signed up to volunteer at a hospital and they don't seem to want me for free?!

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of the hospitals are doing away with tech positions from what I hear...my advice, try Rural Metro, they do IFT and have a 911 contract with the city of Orlando. Also put a comment card in with American Ambulance, however they don't run emergency calls

akhan36

Forum Ride Along
any luck with the search, I am considering attending next semester for EMT to gain experience for PA school. How is the schedule if you did get a job, if not where have you looked? Thanks

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
American Ambulance seems to be hiring small groups about every other month. We pretty much only require an EMT cert, EVOC, and a pulse :/
Oh, and we do occasionally get emergency (code 3) calls, but no 911 calls.

Just walk in to the Orlando office before 5pm on any weekday and ask to fill out a job app form.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Silfie

Forum Ride Along
Finally!

Thanks for the advice. I completed pre-employment testing about 3 weeks ago with Lake EMS and they haven't notified me of the results yet. Today I took a test for American Ambulance and scored 22/25. They told me the results right away and I have an interview scheduled for this Thursday. I was told to expect some "getting-to-know-you" type questions and scenarios. Any advice on what to expect in the interview? I'm super anxious about it.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the advice. I completed pre-employment testing about 3 weeks ago with Lake EMS and they haven't notified me of the results yet. Today I took a test for American Ambulance and scored 22/25. They told me the results right away and I have an interview scheduled for this Thursday. I was told to expect some "getting-to-know-you" type questions and scenarios. Any advice on what to expect in the interview? I'm super anxious about it.

Used to work for them, the question that really made me think was, "what do you life the least about EMS?" the test of the interview was pretty generic.

OP
OP
S

Silfie

Forum Ride Along
Thank you! That honestly helps. They asked on the written pre-test what I liked least about my last EMS job and if I never had one, what I liked least about my last job. I'm a GM @ Domino's and I wrote that I disliked disciplining and/or terminating employees. I suppose I'll try to stick with something like that.

weewm7074970011

Forum Ride Along
New paramedic looking for a job

I'm a new paramedic from New York, I took my exam for Florida cert and pass it 3 weeks ago, I need advice on looking from a job coming from a different state. Thanks!

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Rural Metro is in a hiring process now they are picking up 3-4 medics and half a dozen EMTs. I'm sure there will be another in a month or so the Orlando office hires for both the ORL metro area and their contract in Sumter County. You can apply on line.

American hires mostly EMT though they do have medics. You can apply for them on line also

Good luck with your job hunt it can be frustrating in Florida is you are not firefighter certified there are not a lot of services that use single role medics.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
American hires mostly EMT though they do have medics. You can apply for them on line also

American's medics are usually promoted from within, they'll hire media and have them work as basics until a positron opens up.