Central California EMS

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
How is EMS in Kings/Madera/Tulare County, in terms of workflow, salaries, schedules, etc?

I know it's CA, but how are protocols and workflow in terms of paramedic autonomy and having to call for orders, etc?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don't know that there are any Kings/ Madera people on here. I thought there was (is?) a medic from Tulare on here a while back, but can't say for sure.

Kings, Tulare, and Madera are part of the Central California EMS Agency which also includes Fresno county, so it's a multi-county system. Fire is almost exclusively BLS/ first responders, with some ALS departments scattered about. From what I have heard (pure speculation), there isn't a whole lot of protocol deviation, particularly in the more urban areas, but I could be far off. Here are their protocols:

http://www.ccemsa.org/

AMR, though a small division, is no more in Tulare. Your best bet is probably American Ambulance (Fresno). I've heard good things about Pisterosi as well. I have no first hand knowledge of any of the companies, only brief encounters with the crews in passing. Again, American is the biggest and most dominant with their own HEMS, and swift water/ rope rescue/ dive medic teams. Here's the links to these two companies:

http://pistoresiambulance.com/

https://www.americanambulance.com/

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Riggs ambulance in Merced county (just north of Madera) I've heard is nice. My extent of work in Tulare county was with CAL FIRE. There may be a private ambulance based out of Porterville when AMR left but I can't speak with certainty.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
There's a few different Ambulance companies in Tulare County. Imperial Ambulance, Lifestar, and American Ambulance of Visalia (completely separate from American Ambulance in Fresno and Kings Counties).

I think I may be missing a company or two, and swore there was a thread on Tulare County, and/ or it's companies. The way they are or were dispatched was a bit different, and I don't know that they each had specific "zones". It sounded more like a rotational system with their 911 stuff.

Also, Tulare City Fire is ALS, but the rest as CAL eluded to, is BLS (formerly CDF).

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Companies wise, I heard nothing but good things about American Ambulance (Fresno), Imperial (Visalia) and Riggs (Merced). On the subject of the latter, they also have a tacdiv which deploys their medics with the local SWAT teams. As well as their own HEMS.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Companies wise, I heard nothing but good things about American Ambulance (Fresno), Imperial (Visalia) and Riggs (Merced). On the subject of the latter, they also have a tacdiv which deploys their medics with the local SWAT teams. As well as their own HEMS.
Well, since @RocketMedic asked specifically about CCEMS(A), I thought to exclude Riggs, and for obvious reasons, my service. Riggs is (or was before the buyout) very similar to Hall. It has a longstanding relationship with its community within Merced County. The county itself, like ours, functions under their own set of protocols, and isn't part of the CCEMSA.

They do have their own HEMS, and their vendor is our vendor. Skylife out of Fresno (i.e., American Ambulance's HEMS ops) is in the process of switching over to the same vendor as well. This would make it easier for our, and their pilots to pick up overtime in, and around the Central Valley when available. Aside from that, their HEMS staffing should all be the same as ours, which is nurse/ medic; both of whom (TMK) are employees of the company, and not the vendor itself, rendering them hospital-base services.

There's a Riggs thread here, too. I am sure it is somewhat dated, and I don't know the particulars of their service other than fire is also BLS/ first responders, AMR attempted to low-bid them out of their EOA a few years back, but given their longstanding history in the community it did not fly; also, whatever else I have mentioned in this post. If all else fails, just slide on over the "Hall Ambulance" thread.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I mean, coming from Texas, it would be a professional downgrade, but I dunno. Part of me misses CA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Riggs is a good place with good people. They're owned by Sierra Medical Services Alliance which is also known as SEMSA which is now all the management from REMSA when it was an amazing place to work. (Still is good, but it used to be better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If I ever left and came back, I'd be gunning for the Central Coast; beach or bust. Hardly worth returning IMO otherwise.

CALEMT

If I ever left and came back, I'd be gunning for the Central Coast; beach or bust. Hardly worth returning IMO otherwise.

Cambria would be on my top list.

CALEMT

You know, CalFire has an ALS engine up in Pebble Beach as well:).

Oh yeah. I politicked when I interviewed in Monterey unit for a FF1 gig.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I kind of want to try the Central/Norcal Experience. I loved going out to the Sierra Nevada and up north when I was a kid, and I could go for it again.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I've been interested in REMSA, but have never heard of SEMSA before. The area they seem to cover is beautiful. That's the kind of place I want to call home. Saving the link. Thanks!