Cell Structure

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I know there is probably a really good explanation for this, but why in the world do we have to learn about the structure of cells in medic school?

Have any of you medics ever actually used this in the field. If so, how.

My whole class has been wondering about this because that is what we are going over in class right now, and most of us already know it, but were wondering why we have to know it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe to understand how certain things, like calcium channel blockers or beta blockers work? Build the foundation so you understand how the ions, cations, and other good stuff interact?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Sep 29 2005, 11:27 AM
Maybe to understand how certain things, like calcium channel blockers or beta blockers work? Build the foundation so you understand how the ions, cations, and other good stuff interact?
Not to mention that it's the cells that are most affected with hypoxia, heart attacks, and several other conditions you'll be treating. You may not need to remember the details, but you do need to understand the afflction before you can treat it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Wingnut+Sep 29 2005, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wingnut @ Sep 29 2005, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Sep 29 2005, 11:27 AM
Not to mention that it's the cells that are most affected with hypoxia, heart attacks, and several other conditions you'll be treating. You may not need to remember the details, but you do need to understand the afflction before you can treat it. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, that too. ;)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One of the most important things why we learn cell structure and it's componets is it is " the basic unit of life " I know you have read that before huh?....

Well okay, in Intermediate you learn osmosis and gradient pressure, filtration and all that stuff you though you would never use right ?... ever been on a shocky patient..... DKA...... adminstered medication(s) ?... well you have seen seen the cell structure dismayed and in action

Remember the cell wall allows certain thing to enter freely & other things not enter so freely, the parts of cell digest bacteria etc... fluids we adminster will either enter the cell or go in-between the cell to increase volume, or the antibotics you take for your sinus infection all affect the cell wall. Increase metabolism of ATP increases with cardiac arrest which allows us to have a better productive defibrillation, as well as increase of Potassium of diabetics not even touching on Calcium channel blockers etc... cellular metabolsim ... yadda ...yadda

So I hope you can relate now why learning at cellular level is so important. In fact you will actually be sxposed at cellular collaspse patient far more than you will probably be exposed to obsterics or even hazardous materials or WMD. It is a shame we do not increase the study of cellular patology more with some insight of how it affects our patients. Knowing what is going on inside your patient is half the battle, not just the sign or symptoms. Knowing the cellular level you will be able to see the full disease or injury incident at the full level and can predict the outcome as well as the potential treatment. Those (even physicians) that have mastered understanding cellular level is way ahead of the game.....

I hope this will encourage to read and want to more about your patient.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

SingleLovingLife

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Rid. Have been beating myself up about all this cell stuff this semester. One of the disadvantages of making drastic career changes at age 40! One shouldn't have a 20+ year lapse between high school biology and A&P! Our A&P is an applied class and our instructor is a paramedic with bachelor degrees in biology and chemistry (I think). So he gets REALLY into this stuff -- but tries his best to keep it interesting for the rest of us. The more we learn about the application of it, the more sense it is making, so I just keep hanging in there. It does seem to help with the answers on game shows though -- I knew the answer to the $50,000 question on Millionaire the other night! LOL What does the T stand for in T-cells?