CC or Paramedic

Emt3752

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone I'm new to the site so nice to meet everyone now my question is im torn between CC or Paramedic I don't really know which would be best for me I would love to go back to school for either and be able to do more for my pt's but I would like to get an opinion on what I should do.

thanks Joseph

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What is CC?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You replied while I was making my funny....

But now I must ask...what is a Critical Care Tech?

OP
OP
Emt3752

Emt3752

Forum Ride Along
They are a step below Paramedic allowed to do everything a Paramedic is able to do but maybe 5 or 6 skills off and some medication

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And what state would this be? Additionally, it never bodes well when one simply compares medical careers as being different by a few "skills". Anyone can do skills, monkeys have skills. If I had to hazard a guess I would assume there is a lot more educational difference as well?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I'm assuming your CCTs are in the hospital, performing as ER techs with an expanded scope?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
NY I believe has the CC tech

Go be a paramedic. It's not just skills, it's knowledge behind the skills. It's patho. It's understanding. You will be much more capable of handling your patients.

OP
OP
Emt3752

Emt3752

Forum Ride Along
State would be New York and no we have 3 different levels of ems care providers here in the us

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
CC Tech is pretty specific to NY, OP. I don't know of any other states that use it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It sounds like something you should stay away from.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm, seems like the cardiac tech from Maryland. They both sound like bad news.

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
Become a CC if you would like new skills, become a paramedic if you want new knowledge on when to use the skills.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Go for your medic. Monkey skills aside, there are about 1000 hours difference between a CC and a paramedic. Makes all the difference when it comes to patient assessment.

Is atropine still the purple box?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Medic. Not only is being a medic interesting/fun- I had a BLAST in medic school.

I'm wish I could re-do it. I had a very close knit class. We all still stay in touch. We kind of all dispersed throughout the country, but all still talk regularly, even years later.

medic6676

Forum Crew Member
From someone who has taken both courses and become both levels, I can say with all honesty that it doesn't hurt to take either/both.

If you find the right Critical Care course, you will be taking an abbreviated paramedic course. I took my CC in Utica, and under the direction of that program I was able to take my paramedic without taking any new notes. Instead while attending my medic program I actually was able to sit and listen to the instructor and form more thought-provoking and important questions.

In the instance of courses, I will admit I feel I took more, clinical wise, from my CC course than medic. In CC, I was required to attend ER time, Cath Lab time, L&D Time, and MedCon time, whereas with my medic class I was only required to do ER time, OR (tube) time(2 tubes) and MD shadow (one shift). Now as for portability, paramedic is the way to go because as many pointed out NY's CC, or, as it used to be known, Level 3, is not honored anywhere else (PS: there are technically 5 levels in NY: EMR, EMT, AEMT, CC, and Paramedic, which all had different titles pre-National Standards).

That being said it is up to you, your bank/financial aid, your time, and where you see yourself in three years or less. It doesn't hurt to take CC, learn from that, and take medic to build on the knowledge CC gave you.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
State would be New York and no we have 3 different levels of ems care providers here in the us

There are four general levels of EMS providers in the US:

Emergency Medical Responder - First Responder

Emergency Medical Technician

Advanced EMT - EMT Intermediate (there were two levels of this)

Paramedic - EMT-Paramedic